Dazed and Confused

A/N: This chapter was my brother's idea lmao

-------

It was almost night fall when I got word. Ron had almost died from a bottle of poisoned mead. Mead that was meant for Dumbledore. 

When I got the news, my knees felt weak, my supper threatened to come up, tears threatened to spill over. One of my friends was a victim of this stupid task now. He could have died.  

I knew what I had to do now. I couldn't wait until more innocent people were harmed or killed. The realization swept over me like a tidal wave, drowning me until I no longer had air in my lungs. I couldn't breath.  

I held my arms around my torso tight, trying to hold myself together while I made my way to the infirmary. I had to talk to Harry. The walk seemed to last forever; especially while I was falling apart inside. My whole world was crumbling down and I was struggling to not fall onto the floor into a fetal position. 

I assumed my reaction was so strong because I felt partially responsible. I may not have poisoned that mead directly, but I was aware of the threat in the school and I was doing nothing about it. The last thing I wanted to do was get Draco in trouble but I also couldn't stand by while his half-hearted attempts sent classmates to the infirmary or St. Mongo's.  

Finally, I'd reached Madam Pomfrey's. Hastily wiping the tears away from my eyes, I struggled to keep it together in the presence of everyone else. I walked up with my shoulder's back, no matter how much the guilt was pushing me down.  

I tried not to look at anyone except Harry...especially Ron's unconscious body. "Harry...could I talk to you for a moment...alone?" I asked, not meeting any of the curious eyes that were on me now.  

He looked at me, puzzled, but nodded his head and followed me into the hallway. "What is it?" 

I used every ounce of energy in my body to keep from sobbing. I smiled weakly. "I know this is a weird request but...do you think you could give me the password to Dumbledore's office? I really need to talk to him...immediately," I asked him, putting as much urgency into it as possible while simultaneously trying to sound nonchalant. The resulting tone was more desperate and strangled. 

He looked at me suspiciously, taking in my red eyes and puffy face. "Look, Allie, if you know something than you can tell me..." 

"I would really rather talk directly to Dumbledore... It's more of a personal thing," I half-lied. It was extremely personal, even though it was also exactly what Harry had been searching for.  

"Well, okay. The last password that I know of was Acid Pops but it changes sometimes. You can try that one though... But really, you can tell me." 

"Thanks, Harry. I'll tell you...eventually," I said before turning and walking away. I couldn't look at him anymore.  

Now that I was out of his sight, I ran to Dumbledore's office. I hoped I wouldn't run into anyone until I got there and for once, I was fortunate. "Acid Pops!" I yelled at the gargoyle and, surprisingly, it turned to reveal stairs which I ran up as well. 

I knocked on the door forcefully, starting to feel feverish and dizzy by the time I heard him say, "Come in." 

I walked in. My breathing was heavy, and my vision was blurring so I couldn't take in much of his office; only the white-bearded man in front of me. When I realized that it was him who Draco was aiming his attacks at, the blood rushed out of my skull; I felt cold. Standing so closely to him helped me put into perspective that he was indeed a real human being.  

"Ms. Jones? What's wrong? You look terribly pale. Should I go get Madam Pomfrey?" he suggested, getting up to go to the door.  

"No!" I said quickly. He sat back down. "I've come to tell you something. I'm sorry for barging in like this but...with Ron and...Katie Bell..." I swallowed hard.