Part Fifteen

h.s.

"You realize we'd have to go back to the store to get what you want?" I tell Beth realizing that her bookshelf needed wood for the shelf itself. When she stopped talking and realized this she started "Well maybe we can go another day and start painting and after all there's no rush. Is there?" I shake my head and smiled at her. "So I'm going to shake the gallons and pour them into the things" I say pointing at them. "Harry they are called Roller Tray and Grid." She smiles walking towards the bed looking for the laptop. "Yeah, I know that I was just testing you." I say I'm a mocking tone. "Yeah right. Look, you do that and I'll play my music." I nod and walk towards the gallons, shake them, open and pour some pain on the plates. Placing the lid over the gallon. As soon as I finish that and start placing the rolls on their handles and sticks. A song starts to play through the speakers around the flat and on the small speakers that are on the room. "You know your way through technology." I state. "Do I live under a rock? - No!"

"Okay you want to start with this wall or the next one?" I ask her. "You start with this one and I'll start on the 2nd one. Then me can switch. Is that okay?" Beth says. "How about we start on all the walls and their base colors and then we move to your ideas and details?" I ask. "I think it's perfect." She smiles as I grab the tray and place it over her wall and then hand her one of the rolls. "Thank you Sir." She says with a soft smile. I respond to her smile and start rolling the roll on the paint, and then carefully start painting the whole wall of green. Once the two of us fall into silence I start to actually listen to Beth's music. I'm surprised by her taste; listening to Wonderwall originally by Oasis but a cover of a well known friend of mine makes me smirk. Half way trough the cover I listen to her sing a long, her smooth voice made stop painting and just listen to her. I'm speechless to her soft chant that surprisingly blended with his. "And after all, you're my Wonderwall." She sings finishing the song. Beth continued painting throughout the singing and didn't acknowledge me stoping and listening to her. After a few moments the song ended just before the next one started I closed my eyes and breathed in and out and continued painting. "How is it possible that your wall is not done yet. I finished mine already." Beth says half way the next song that I've never heard before. I look at her wall and laugh. "Um there's something I must tell you; you're missing about 20% of your wall." I say pointing out at the top part. Beth scratches her back and says "I know even though I have the long stick I have no control what-so-ever with this thing." "Well in that case let me help you." I say placing my roll down and walking towards her. I go around her back and tell her how to hold it. "You use this one to guide and this one to hold down, then you move."
" I know that, but after I go up until a certain height I loose my balance." I nod and with my right leg I push open her leg creating an wider angle. "Try now." I tell Beth who has a taken back face. "I'm helping you by teaching you, trust me." She nodded and started painting and she actually did what I told her and didn't loose balance. I smirk at her laugh. "Thanks she says to me." I nod and go back to my wall and started painting.

After moving on to the 3rd and 4th wall I stopped my tracks when I heard the 1st chords of one of my favorite songs. She gasped a little and looked at me. I couldn't stop smiling and she looked like she was about to burst because of her excitement. I think I'm becoming one of my crazed fans. "I absolutely love this song!" I say oddly enough she whisper-screamed "Me too!" Making me laugh as I start to sing a long The Rembrandts I'll Be There For You.

"So no one told you life was gonna be this way." The both of us clap in zinc. Making me laugh and Beth took over. "Your job's a joke, you're broke and your love life's DOA" I laugh so hard at her singing and moving like she's a rockstar. I join in at the chorus " When it hasn't been your day, week month even your year but I'll be there for you when the rain starts to pour. I'll be there for you like I've been there before. I'll be there for you 'Cuz you're there for me too." By this time the two of us are jumping around and singing loudly.

By the time the song is over the two of us are panting for air and laughing like idiots. "That was something." She says making me sigh. "Yeah, I was." She smiled and continue painting as a song I recognize starts playing. I know I've heard it before. But I don't remember from where. "The Last of the Mohicans" Beth says. I smirked and nodded to her while going back to painting. Once the four walls are painted a solid color the two of us put down our tools. Let's let it dry for a bit. I say walking out with her behind me.

Sitting on floor because we didn't want to risk having any paint on the sofa's or sits. Silence fell upon us, Beth didn't say anything and I didn't push her to be more talkative. "Thanks for helping me." Beth says breaking the silence. I look at her and smiled. "I find it funny, you know?" She starts. "What?" I ask. "The colors." She states. "Why?"
"A grayish-green, just like your eyes." Realization and understanding come to me instantly. "That's - um - strange. Did you planned?" I ask.

"No, not at all. It's funny though, I thought your eyes once where full of life. Don't get me wrong but they seem so dull now. Like sadness becomes who you are and you no longer enjoy life." Beth says looking out the window lost in her thoughts "And the saddest part is that nobody helps you. You remind me of someone, always putting yourself 2nd or 3rd or even 5th for everyone to be pleased. I bet you once enjoyed been the center of attention and not having to care if people watched, until you made a small mistake." Her words where soft and gentle but like cutting knives in my arms, body and legs. "I bet all you do is write your feelings down and fill your life with silence to compensate all the riot and fan screams. I don't know Harry. I might be wrong or I might be right, something I do know; in my whole life I haven't seen or met someone as sad as me. Until I met you, and probably you don't care." She says getting up from the floor without looking at me walking directly to her room. I didn't noticed the music playing while she talked. I didn't notice the tears that started to form. In that moment I realized what I needed to do. Talk it out.