CHAPTER 25- Love & Other Truths

When I walked into the guest chambers, I spotted two men standing guardedly inside the entrance. Alarms of anxiety sounded as I turned to Ava, Victoria and Calla.

 “What’s going on?”

Quickly, Ava stood from her chaise forcing a very nervous smile. “Umm...where have you been Jemma?”

“Ahh...”

 “Mr. Charles requested us in his tent.” She hurriedly added interrupting my attempt in answering her question.

“Rrrright...now?” I stuttered hesitantly gazing at the guards.

“Yes, immediately.” One of them firmly answered me.

Not sure what to do, I stood still. But Victoria, Calla and Ava got up quickly joining the guards and unitedly flashing a restrained smile.

 “Come on Jemma!” Ava urged, her voice sounding strangely high.

“Umm...” I hesitated scanning their anxious faces.

“Come on.” She repeated grabbing my hand and pulling me forward.

As I stumbled beside her, she stepped closer. “Don’t say anything.” She whispered. “Act normal until we get back.”

I nodded, quietly falling into a state of profound confusion and condensed anxiety. What the hell is going on? was my last thought.

**************

I could feel the dreadful rhythm of their heartbeats as we walked through the city. It was dark now and they clung to each other’s and my side like we were each other’s protectors. I wasn’t stupid; I knew something was clearly wrong. But being on the completely blind side, I had no choice but to stay quiet and wait for an explanation.

“Welcome my beloved guests!” Charles enthusiastically greeted as we walked into his chambers. Almost immediately, my eyes spotted Sammy, Josh, Ronnie and Riley scattered across the room.

“Jemma!” Sammy called before rushing over and taking my hand.

“Hi buddy!” I tried to smile but what came out was a strange nervous tooth grinding movement.

“Are you okay?” Sammy asked innocently.

I nodded my gaze slowly returning to Riley.

He looked okay, calm, composed. But I could still see the anxiety from earlier behind his eyes. He turned, his eyes catching mine and my heartbeats promptly fastened.

“Sorry to call you so suddenly.” Charles voiced stealing my attention back to him. “But there’s an important matter that I must discuss with you.”

He paused like he was expecting a sort of response from us. But when none of us spoke a word, he went on...

“First things first, this is my son in law, John.”

Not wasting an opportunity to gaze at him, I quickly turned meeting his perfect eyes.

“Now, let’s get to our important matter.” Charles quickly added. “You have been our guests for a few days correct?”

We all nodded silently.

He smiled. “And it had been my pleasure to have you with us. However, my city is very small and can only hold so many people. So please don’t take this personally, but I must ask you to leave.”

“Leave?” I repeated.

“Yes! But don’t worry; I understand that the world is difficult nowadays. So I have a proposition for you.”