CHAPTER 32- The Armor

“Try it again, Jemma.” Ava murmured patiently. I nodded and quickly closed my eyes.

It had been hours since Ronnie and I started training with Ava. And we still hadn’t gotten anywhere.

The first thing you must learn is how to release your Armor of Light. She murmured, nearly a day ago. That light is there to eliminate anything around you that you may perceive as a threat.

I took a deep breath before beginning a new attempt. But it was nearly impossible to concentrate given everything that was happening around me. For, that very morning, the ship was caught in a violent tide causing water to sneak into the surface. And ever since then, the water had been pushing against the door between our room and the deck.

Charles and his men piled wooden boxes in front of the door, in the hope that it’d stay locked. But I knew it was only a matter time before it broke open and water snuck inside. I didn’t want to think of what would happen if or when...this was bad and sitting helplessly wasn’t going to make the situation any better. I needed to figure a way out.

“Jemma, come on. Try harder.”

“This isn’t working.” I murmured, frustrated.

“It will. You have to be patient Jemma. It takes practice.”

I eyed Ava, silently envying her for her patience. “How long did it take you to learn all this?”

“Months. But, I still have much to learn.”

“You do?”I asked, surprised. She seemed to have it all down pretty well.

“Yes. My ancestor, Trenv? He was a healer too. Only, he was much more powerful. He could inflict wounds and heal with only his mind...without touch.”

“Wow...he sounds amazing.”

“He was. One day, I hope to master all his abilities.”

If one day ever comes. I thought.

Hours into the night, Ava finally allowed us a break, promising we’d continue first thing tomorrow. As her and Ronnie settled, I got up and quietly snuck to the hidden area where Riley made his confession to me a day ago. I found him lying on the ground, soundlessly asleep like an innocent child. Slowly sneaking beside him, I shifted my body as close as possible, and rested my head against his chest.

Oh Riley. Even asleep, you look burdened. I miss the old you, the happy you. I wish I could take all your pain away and bring the smile back to your beautiful face.

“Hi.” His voice suddenly whispered, snatching me from my thoughts. I looked up into his green eyes and my heart skipped a beat.

“Hey.”

“You okay?” He murmured sitting up, his arms naturally shaping themselves around me.

I nodded, swiftly looking away so he didn’t see the anguish in my eyes. The truth was, I felt useless. Like I couldn’t help him even though I knew how much he struggled.

He frowned. “Hey, stop.”

“What?”

“Stop this! Stop worrying okay? I’m fine.”

I shook my head, a rush of sadness hitting me at once. How could I ever stop worrying about him?

“Look at me.” His fingers slid to my chin, pulling my face up to meet his gaze. “I’m as human as anyone can be. Two arms, two eyes, two feet...wait a minute!” His eyes widened, feigning horror as he stared at his feet.