CHAPTER 23- The Announcement

I sat in the guest chambers silently drifting into a strange blended state of sadness and relief. Even though seeing the apple tree awakened memories I previously intended to keep forever asleep, it made me see a glimpse of hope. After all, being in that garden was like a fantasy I knew I would only read in pages that had been beaten with time. And the fact that I encountered an apple tree at this specific point in my life restored so much faith I never thought was redeemable. Not only that but it made me feel closer to him...

“Jemma, helloo? Are you there?”

I quickly shook off my absentmindedness and focused my attention back to the girls.

“Sorry, yeah. I’m here.” I answered tucking my curly streaks behind my ears.

Calla’s eyebrows rose suspiciously. “Are you sure? You didn’t say a word since we got back from the garden.”

I nodded. “Yeah. I’m okay.” I sighed. “But I was thinking, maybe we should get a move on now that we had a good rest and stuff.”

Calla frowned. “No! We just got here! This place is amazing. I’m not ready to leave yet.”

“Jemma is right.” Ava muttered jumping at the opportunity she desperately waited for. “There’s no reason for us to stay here any longer.”

“Of course you’d say that. You’re like Jemma’s puppet. You’d agree with anything she says.” Calla shrugged annoyed.

“Calla!” I eyed her disapprovingly and she frowned.

“Whatever it’s the truth.”

Ava’s eyes narrowed. “I assure you that I am no one’s puppet.”

I sighed. “I’m sorry Ava. Calla didn’t mean it. Calla, apologize.”

Calla wouldn’t speak.

“Calla!” I warned eyeing her sharply.

She shrugged. “Fine. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” Ava answered offering her a genuine smile.

Calla felt guilty and began an attempt at explaining herself. “I’m sorry Ava, I didn’t mean to be rude.” She told her. “It’s just that, I’ve never had this, you know? This place is amazing and I just, I wanna get a bigger taste of it before we have to go back to that horrible world outside.”

I frowned. Calla knew exactly what to say to guilt-trip me and make things go her way. This place made her happy and she deserved that, even if it was temporary. Besides, I waited months to see Riley. I’m sure I could wait a few more days. I’m sure everything would turn out fine.

****************

The next morning, I was awakened by a loud clinking sound right outside the chambers. Quickly, I climbed off the chaise and ran to the exit peeking through the crack. A man right outside walked with a metal object in the shape of a cup in his hand. He continued shaking it every few seconds causing the clinking noise, then he’d yell, “The hunters are arriving, the hunters are arriving”. Curiously, I stepped outside as more and more people gathered chattering with excitement. I spotted Mrs. Alexander passing by and quickly paced over to her.

“Hi Mrs. Alexander.”

She turned offering me a smile. “Please, call me Alexia.”

“Alexia.” I repeated politely. “Umm, that man said the hunters are coming?”

“Oh yes they are.”

“What hunters?” I asked curiously.

“The hunters of our city. They were out on a mission and now they’ll return tomorrow.”