CHAPTER 18- Ava

“Jemma! Jemma, let’s go!”

My mouth hung open as I stood behind the bars watching the girl fight and defeat every purple man that came at her.

“Jemma!”

I jumped startled to find Josh standing in front of me. “Come on! We have to move!” He yelled his voice thick with panic.

“How did you get out?” I asked.

“That crazy girl opened my door.” He informed pointing at Ava. “Come on, we have to hurry.”

As he reached for my hand, I took a step back. “We can’t leave without...”

“I know...I know. They were in a different room beside mine. The girl opened their door too. They’re outside with Victoria now! Come on! We don’t have time.”

He grabbed my hand and pulled me across the room, through the metal door and back into the larger room.

“That way!” He shouted pointing at what looked like a square-shaped exit.

“Was that there when we...?” I scratched my head in absolute bafflement. But Josh wasn’t listening. His attention was glued to Ava who was in the process of slamming two purple men against two opposite sides of a wall.

 “Come on.” He then urged pulling me towards the exit.

“Are we going to leave her to fight alone?” I asked looking back.

“Yes of course we are! We don’t know even who she is!”

Giving in to his logical reasoning, I followed him through the squared hole which I discovered led right back to the outside of the house. We found nervous Victoria standing nearby the exit with Sammy’s hand tangled to hers and Calla, lying on the ground next to them.

“What are we going to do now?” I asked remembering that our plan to save Calla had now officially failed. “She’s going to die.” Responding to my anxious remark, their eyes flickered to Calla before they became lost for words.

“Ohh.” I cried, my body suddenly aching.

“She is not going to die!” Josh uttered stubbornly as he bent down and picked her up. “We are going to find a way to save her.”

His supposed reassuring words would’ve worked if they were spoken to anyone else. But it was me he spoke to, me he lied to, and I could tell. Tears welled up behind my eyes as the violent realization hit; I failed my little sister and now I really was going to lose her.

“What is that?” Victoria suddenly cried forcing me to follow her gaze and to my utter shock, I spotted what looked like a... metal box flying towards us.

“What the...” I gasped.

“Ahh, we should run.” Josh uttered, his voice hoarse.

Suddenly, my friends were sprinting, each towards a different direction. But for some reason, I couldn’t move, I didn’t want to, standing stock-still as the metal box came to a sudden halt in front of me.

 “Jemma.” Sammy whimpered, anxiously tugging against my hand.

I gulped as I carefully watched the box exist in the stillest of states.  I couldn’t look away, couldn’t even breath as my eyes poured through the faint blue colour of the metal container. Whatever was inside, it was somehow alluring me, calling out to me, it was spilling with familiarity, it was something I knew.

Finally, many seconds later, it began to slide open. My hands tightened around Sammy’s as my chest began to promptly thud. It’s okay. I whispered to myself as my anxiety surfaced. It’s okay.