Fired

As it turns out, McGonagall didn't have to find the teacher. Instead the teacher found them.

"Is she here?" the man asked frantically as he rushed in the office. "I heard..."

"She is," Dumbledore interrupted, with his daughter sitting on his lap, curled up to his chest.

The man sighed. "Thank god. When I saw the boggart had escaped, I -"

Dumbledore frowned. "You left my daughter alone with a boggart."

"I...It was only for a minute or so. And that boggart was secure! There was no way-" The man faltered.

Dumbledore's eyes narrowed. "And yet it did. I entrusted Bella to you, and you let her be attacked."

"I-"

"Your services are no longer required."

"What?!"

"Please pack your bags and leave immediately."

"No, I'm sorry, but you can't-"

"I am headmaster of this school. I say what can and cannot be done."

"But it was an accident!"

"An accident that could have proved fatal."

"I-"

"Leave." Dumbledore commanded once more, and the man fell silent.

There was a pause, and then the man turned and left.

"We'll need a new defence teacher," McGonagall pointed out from the corner of the room.

"Find one," Dumbledore said. "Maybe one of the teachers can do a double."

McGonagall realised that Dumbledore wasn't in the right frame of mind for any administrative duties, so she nodded once and left.

Dumbledore looked at his sleeping daughter and frowned.

If anything had happened to her, he would've...

"How troublesome," he murmured.