Chapter Thirty-Two

That next Thursday, they packed their bags and drove to the airport. Alix made sure to keep a hold on Taivon's hand as they got their tickets and then went through security. He was a little nervous, she could tell by the dampness of his hands and the way his eyes widened when he had to put all of his stuff into one of those trays, but they eventually made it through.

By the time they were sitting down in the spacious chairs by their plane's gate, she was exhausted. As usual, Taivon had kept her up all night last night. Her legs weren't sore anymore, but her core still pounded whenever she thought about it. About him.

The man had stamina that was on a whole other level.

Even now, as she looked at him, sprawled out in the chair, with his booted ankles crossed and one long arm wrapped around her shoulder, he was entirely something else. Of course, she'd always known that, but, for some reason, that moment before meeting the rest of the Cantrells made it more real – made him more real. She could put a face to a name and see where he came from and why he was the way he was. Why, to her, he was perfect.

Smoothing her thumb over his knuckles, just like he always did to her, Alix rested her head against his shoulder and listened to his even breathing. He rubbed his own thumb over her hand before kissing the top of her head.

“T-T-Tired?” he murmured.

“A little.”

“Don't wuh-worry. We'll sleep on th-th-th-the ride there.”

She kissed his stubbly cheek. “Okay.”

So, for the next half hour, they waited and then boarded the plane. True to his word, he was asleep almost as soon as they'd sat down, head resting against the covered window and warm knee braced against hers. She gave his leg one comforting squeeze before hitting a button and reclining back.

Just as she was about to fall asleep, there was a shift in weight to the left of her. Alix opened her eyes just in time to see an older woman, with a purse almost half her size, sit down in the seat beside her. Her hair was in short, styled with one of those perms, and her glasses were just like the ones her grandmother had. A hardcover copy of Summer's Edge was in her spotted hands. Her book.

“Oh, sorry,” the older lady whispered. “I didn't mean to wake you.”

Alix waved the apology away and held out her hand, smiling when she took it and sat down. “No worries. I don't think I was gonna get a lot of sleep, anyway.” She gestured to Taivon. “He snores sometimes. Drives me crazy.”

“Oh, you'll get used to it.” There was a short pause and then, “So, are you two gonna stay down in Texas, then? Or are you planning on flying somewhere else?”

“Staying down in Texas. His family owns a ranch. How about you? Any plans for Thanksgiving?”

“Carl and I are gonna be staying with the kids again.”

“Sounds like fun. I'm Alix, by the way.”

The woman offered her hand, which Alix gladly took. “Heather. It's nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, too.”

                                                                        ***

“I absolutely love her, too! She's just...You have to write a book about her!”

“Maybe. I'm currently working on something else right now, but after that, I plan on getting back into the series.”

“Thank God. I've been just dying to read the rest! Are Sam and Ashley going to have kids or are they-”

“I can't tell!” Alix laughed. “You'll just have to wait and see. Besides, there's gotta be a few twists every once and awhile. How else am I supposed to keep young ladies like you satisfied?”