Chapter Six

As promised, Taivon came in that night. He sat in his usual spot and drank half of his usual beer. Alix felt his gaze on her the entire night, but Dawg's was too busy for her to actually stand there and have a decent conversation with the man.

The next nights following that really picked up. There were groups of bikers, and then there were more groups of bikers, all of them getting ready for Sturgis. Dawg's, with its seedy appearance and smell of greasy food, was the perfect place for all of them, which was why she and Taivon didn't actually get to say a thing to each other about their planned dinner.

On Friday, the day before their dinner, Alix went to Yellowstone to go and see if Taivon was there, but when she asked if Taivon Cantrell was giving the tours, the woman just shook her head, leaving Alix the embarrassment to drive back on home and feel like some naïve school girl.

Saturday then came and went. Taivon came into the bar, smiled at her, and then drank half his beer. The bikers kept her busy. So busy that she didn't even notice when he left. It didn't help that the pool table got more rowdy than usual, and she had to grab the bat to kick a man out.

It was finally on Monday when the bar calmed down, giving Alix a chance to just relax and enjoy the quiet. Compared to the previous nights, Dawg's was dead. The pool table wasn't being played, they had the grill and fryers turned off because of lack of use, and Alix had poured exactly three drinks since her shift had started. That had been two hours ago.

“I'm so bored,” Matilda grumbled from beside her, spinning around on one of the bar stools.

“Same.” Alix nodded and slouched against the wooden bar.

“What do ya think Walter's doing?” Matilda's eyes lit up. “Do ya think he'd like to play a game o' cards? War, maybe? Slapjack?”

“Let's go ask him,” she said, following Matilda as they went back into the kitchen.

They found Walter sitting down in a chair, reading a thick, leather-bound book. He raised his head and smiled. “What can I get for you ladies?”

Matilda did all the convincing, while Alix took a deck of cards from underneath the pool table. After setting everything out on one of the diner tables, they made quick work of dealing and then starting their game of War.

They switched to Sheepshead after a few rounds and then onto Slapjack. Alix glanced back at the clock all the while, watching as the hour hand moved closer and closer to nine. It was only about thirty minutes away, and Alix had never felt so nervous.

“Whatchya lookin' at?” Walter asked, after dealing out a few more cards.

She felt her face heat up. “Just lookin' at the time.”

“Expecting somebody?” Matilda asked.

They both knew the answer to that and just laughed, Alix's face heating up as she thought about just what she'd say tonight. Her mind didn't stray from the thought of Taivon, even as they got back to their card game and made quiet, small talk about this and that. Matilda told them that her husband's health was slowly improving, and Walter dug up old stories of his three daughters.

“Oh, Alix.” Matilda elbowed her and looked back at the front door.

Alix looked right along with her, eyes soon meeting the imposing figure of Taivon as he walked into the building. And she just stared, dry mouthed, as he walked with those long steps up to the bar, sending a wave and a smile her way.

His small smile was easier tonight, she realized as she got closer to him. It was no doubt because of the lack of people; Alix could still remember that he got a little weird around others. More nervous. Closed off, even. As if he didn't want anybody but a select few to even know about him.