You Won't Believe This False Hope

'How am I meant to send you these files, anyway?' You fingers tapped on the wood of the desk in sync with the song playing faintly from the speaker behind you. 'Over text? Email? Wait, do you even have an email address?'

'Course I have an email address,' BEN replied with a snort. 'I'm dead, not dumb. Just share it so we can both edit it.'

'Over text?'

'Yes, over text. What did you expect me to say? Fax me?'

You rolled your eyes at his comment, sharing the correct files with no message attached. 'There. Can I go now? I have stuff to do.'

'Hm, what if I said "no"?'

'Then I'd hang up on you. I have stuff to do.'

'What kind of stuff?' His voice was low and quiet in your ear, and you could hear every breath the spirit took. 'Is it...something I have to assist you with?'

It took all of your might to keep your face empty and your tone unimpressed as you said, 'I know what you're insinuating, you little shit. I have schoolwork to do, so unless you can help me with the effects of the Greek myths, then you're pretty useless to me.'

'Do you like degrading me or something? You're always so mean to me.' You could hear the pout in his words.

'I'm just expressing how I feel about you—'

'Oh! You love me!'

'—which is absolute disgust. The deal was that I do my assignments, not listen to your terrible attempts at smooth talk.'

'Aww, c'mon, my smooth talking isn't that bad, is it?'

'It is. It sucks.'

BEN sighed. 'Looks like I have to step up my game for you, huh? That's fine; I have the entire internet at my disposal, and a book.'

'...I'm not even going to ask what the book is about.' Rubbing small circles into your temple, you shook your head and kept your gaze fixed on your keyboard.

'Good idea. Setting eyes on this book would make your prude arse immediately combust.'

'At least I'd be granted the ability to forget everything.'

'I can't believe you want to forget me—your first, loving murderer.'

You frowned. 'You can't have more then one murderer? I don't think it works like that?' I didn't specifically mean forgetting you. I meant forgetting everything.

'You know what I mean, angel. I suppose I should leave you alone now so you can do your work. Don't forget to tell me when you're done, alright?'

'Wait a second!'

'Hm?'

'I was gonna say something earlier on, but I forgot. So, uh, your pronunciation earlier, when you were quoting Amore, was really fucking good, so I was wondering if you'd studied languages before?'

'I'm pretty sure I did,' BEN answered, 'probably French, Spanish, or German. Y'know—public school language options. It's been a while, so I dunno which one it was.'

'You should get back into it. Get Duolingo or something.' You coughed, opening up your assignment page. 'Well, see you later.'

'Oh. Okay. Bye then—'

You cut him off before he could finish speaking by slamming your finger down on the red button, ending the call just as the front door opened, announcing Frankie's return.