This Is Why I Don't Socialise

You sat on the front porch, watching with a mildly unamused frown as dozens of people prepared the street for the parade that would travel down your street the next evening. Frankie was sat on the chair next to you, sipping at a cup of tea. He wasn't that bothered about the parade—he was actually looking forward to it.

He'd been acting strangely that day. After he came home from work, he barely spoke to you and busied himself with dinner. He didn't even ask how your lessons went that day, which struck you as odd, because he was always interested in your school life.

'Why did they have to choose our street?' you wondered, breaking the silence.

'It's big,' Frankie replied with a small shrug. 'Lots of room for the floats.'

'There's bigger streets.'

'True, but at least this way we can stay here to watch it.'

'Well, yeah.'

He put down the cup of tea and turned to look at you. 'Listen, (Y/N), there's something I need to tell you.'

'Did you get a promotion?'

'Don't be daft. It's about your parents. I found something.'

Your breath hitched in your throat, and you felt a chill go down your spine. Trying not to give your emotions away, you asked, 'What did you find?'

'One of the other officer's cousin lives on the Isle of Wight and saw two people that looked like them. They overhead them talking about past plastic surgery operations. They have different names and a different background, so if we went to check we would probably walk past them. They're still considered missing, but...' he trailed off, voice breaking. 'I'm sorry.'

The disappearance of your parents didn't just affect you; it affected Frankie too. Your father had been his mentor and had helped him achieve his dream of being a detective, and your mother had helped him with finances after his top surgery a few years ago. They were the reason you and Frankie were so close. After you had been introduced to him, you had decided that he was your big brother.

You closed your eyes, taking a deep breath. 'Whatever,' you said, forcing an unbothered air. 'They clearly didn't want me—or you, for that matter. I hope they're happy, wherever they are.'

'(N/N), you know that's not true.'

'Then what is? They just decided to disappear for shits and giggles? They obviously didn't like something about their lives to make them run away.' You shrugged, averting your gaze to the floor. 'I don't care anymore. I don't need them; I have you instead.'

Frankie reached over and patted you on the shoulder. 'Come on,' he said quietly, sensing that you wanted a change of topic, 'let's go inside. You wanted to help me with Thunderblight Ganon, right?'

You couldn't say no. You followed Frankie inside, locking the door behind you. Taking your spot on the sofa, you waited for Frankie to load up the game and sit next to you.

'So, what weapons am I best off having?'

'I dunno, show me how many slots you have and I'll figure it out from there.'

<><><>

The next evening, a few of Frankie's friends came to see the parade with him. Since your street was the fourth one the parade was going to travel down, you assured Frankie that you were okay with him hanging out with his buddies.