dix-sept

chapter seventeen - how to save a life

a/n at the bottom!

el walked home, well, her makeshift home, in pure defeat. she wasn't sure what to do, what came over her, why she thought it was okay to scheme with people and fuck with their feelings. it hurt her the most. possibly, it was her past.

the girl with the dark hair had sat in the basement, the basement mike gave her to stay. now, she wasn't sure where she was going to go.

"el," mike said sternly, coming down the stairs.

"mike... i'm sorry... i-i truly am," eleven looked at her feet, "i don't kn-know why i did that, i-i i just... i liked you."

"it doesn't give you the okay to fuck with someone i liked," the raven-haired fourteen-year-old blinked, looking away, "y-you knew i liked him..."

"i know." a tear ran down her pale cheek.

"oh, mike, i'm so horrible." her eyes pleaded guilty. her lips blubbered and it was real this time. she truly only wanted to make amends. of course, for el, it still hurt. if you'd put yourself in her shoes, possibly, you'd feel her pain. mike would feel it, too.

so he put himself where she was, stooped to her level. the agony she felt was overbearing, indeed. but it didn't change the fact that she almost ruined mike's relationship with the boy, the prettiest boy, that he was head over heels for.

"eleven, what you did was evil, almost..." the raven's voice slowed.

she didn't dare speak, not at all. what mike decided was what mike decided. whatever mike thought of her, she couldn't change it. eleven decided it was mike's choice what he wanted to think. no schemes, no plans. just mike.

"look, no doubt, you were a huge asshole," he began.

"a-- what?"

the boy reddened and rolled his eyes, chuckling a bit. "nevermind... it means you were being-- mean... but, el," he continued, "we're young, we're only kids. i'm not gonna stop being friends with you because of one thing you did. besides... from what i know, you're an orphan who doesn't know much about morals. to be honest, i think you're doing fairly well."

el only understood part of what he said, but she did know that it was positive. the brown-haired girl smiled up at him, to which he returned.

"i just want to make amends with everyone... be friends again."

"me too," replied el, "do you think nancy is going to hate me? d-do you think will is going to hate me?"

"i won't tell nance, and... of course not; will is will. he's the sweetest boy on earth..." mike mumbled, blushing cherry.

the girl smiled softly in response. "you guys are really cute..."

the pale boy ran a hand through his hair, fearfully. maybe, it sunk in, there was a possibility that will didn't like him back. he told el about all of it. the date, the hand-holding, the situation with dustin. through it all, she listened, as a friend would.

"no sweat, will obviously likes you."

"wait, el," mike said, hesitantly, "you won't use all of this against me... right?"

the girl put her petite hand on mike's shoulder. "no, i promise." and the boy returned her true kindness with a hug. suddenly, they heard footsteps descending the stairwell to the basement.

"who is it?" mike called, pulling away from his friend.

nancy came down. she was dressed in a pair of bellbottoms and a floral t-shirt. her light hair was pulled back into a ponytail.

"what the hell are you wearing hippie?" asked her little brother upon seeing her.

"shut up, dickwad," she said laughing, "hey, el, how's it going?"

the younger girl gulped and waved nervously, knowing that nancy hadn't any idea she lied about what she said to will. the two brunettes had a fairly good relationship. even though mike decided on not getting nancy involved, el still felt bad.

thankfully, nancy didn't notice el's awkwardness.

"anyway, i came down here to tell you that i'm heading over to jonathan's house if you wanted to come, but we'll have to be back by nine. it's a school night and you know how mom is." the older wheeler winked and chuckled.

mike blushed and looked away from his sister. he'd never been over to will's had he? was he really going to go? after asking him out and holding his hand? could he really go through with it?

he was nervous. well, he didn't have to go, but it made him nervous nonetheless. love, he concluded, was complicated. mike wanted nothing more than to see will's pretty face, his milky chocolate eyes and chestnut hair that fell over them, and the cute, giddy smile that made him melt. yet, at the same time, will byers was the last person mike wheeler wanted to see.

"you coming or not, loverboy?"

"i-i don't know--"

"don't be afraid, mike," el piped up, "go talk to will. i'll go upstairs and watch tv with your mom."

he smiled at her. she wasn't so bad, no, she wasn't bad at all. she was only insecure and had no idea what it felt to be loved, at least, not as a friend.

mike took a shaky inhale, his breath hitching. "okay, i'll go," he finally said.

"attaboy!" nancy put her arm around her little brother. "thanks for being so cool about this el!"

"th-that's what friends do," she happily replied, heading upstairs to the living room. el went over to mike before they'd left and whispered in his ear, "let me know how it goes. you've got this."

mike took another breath and thanked her. hope glinted in his deep eyes. there was something about the new boy. there was something about the boy from seattle. it could be the way he presented himself, possibly, his cute face, but, no, it was more than that. love at first sight was real. the fairy tales with princesses and their one true loves, it was all real. and mike knew one thing:

he was going to get will byers if it was the last thing he'd do.

a/n:
Hey guys it's the holiday season I've been working on this book for literally years. It's gonna be kinda hard for me to update because I have a ton of work as a senior but these days I've been getting some more time to work on this book. I'm also currently working on a new reddie fic called "the café" which is a college AU. But I'm really sorry this is taking so long. I have so many ideas for this book and it means so much that you guys are reading it and enjoying it. Other than that, I would like to wish you all a merry December from the bottom of my heart. New chapter should be out some time this weekend or next week. I'm super excited to see where this book goes and how it ends. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Peace out! ✌️