Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Clayton Simon hesitates before sitting down in the seat in front of him he doesn’t expect to have visitors.  The two people sitting on the other side of the glass waiting patiently to talk to him are a surprise.  Only one of them he is happy to see.   

It never occurred to him that she would come to visit him.  He knows she’s come to say her final goodbye.  She looks beautiful so much like her mother when she was pregnant.  The sight of her in her condition brings out emotions he buried years ago.  The emotion he has for the man sitting next to her is mixed. 

He is at peace with his destiny.  He glances at their clasped hands.  He can see the love they share, he understands why Santo Donati came after him.  He knows that this man will take good care of his little girl Santo will do for her what he could not and would not do…love her unconditionally. 

She turns on the microphone between them.  There are tears in her eyes.  She continues to amaze him.  He’s kept up with her life although he has not been a part of it.  She’s strong and talented and loving.  He’s proud of that.   

“How are you?”  There’s a raspiness in her voice.  She’s more affected by seeing him look so ill than she thought she would be.  Santo slides his arm around her moving his chair closer to hers.  She squeezes his hand for support. 

Clayton gives her a smirking smile.  Shaking his head he is still contemplating on a lot of things.  “I’m as well as can be expected.  It’s not how I planned to spend my last days but I’m coping.   How’s the baby?”  His eyes are clouded. 

“Baby….and me are fine.   Thank you.  Do you need anything in here?”  She faithfully ask like a caring daughter would only he doesn’t understand why she would care about him now. 

“I’m….I’m fine.  This is….unexpected.  You’ll have to forgive me if I seem surprised that you’re here.  Why are you here?”  He already knows but he wants to hear her voice as much as he can. 

“You and I had a conversation at that factory.  I was hoping that maybe we could continue it.”  She responds. 

He glances at Santo who is watching Taylor making sure she’s alright.   He can see the love and concern in his eyes he has for her.   He nods his head realizing it’s time he answered her questions. 

“I don’t know if we should be talking about this in your condition.  I don’t want to upset you or your baby.”  He answers.  He can see the turmoil within her.  She looks nervous and on edge.  It can’t be good for the baby.  He doesn’t know why he’s so concerned about the child she is caring all of a sudden.  Maybe it’s because he wasn’t there for her. 

“Taylor….you appear to have a good life.  Let the past stay in the past.”  He tries to avoid talking about it. 

Taylor becomes agitated and concerned he won’t talk about it.  She turns to Santo for support leaning into him with a sigh. 

“Clayton, if you want me to leave so that you can talk to Taylor I will.  She’s about to become a mother, she is entitled to know what happened to hers.”  Santo interjects. 

Sighing heavily he rubs his red eyes.  “It’s fine….you don’t have to leave.  I…ah….can see that your taking good care of her.  What is it you want to know Taylor?” 

Taylor squeezes Santo’s hand.  Perking up seeming to be more alert her hand switches to hold her stomach, the baby kicks her again.  The unexpected surprise of it happening shows on her face in the form of a small smile.