Chapter 18

Chapter 18 – Salt and Chocolate

(Please remember to Vote and/or Comment, Thanks)  

Taylor opens her eyes hearing a car door close.  Santo has pulled into a gas mart.  Picking up the scent of his cologne she snuggles into his tux lying across her.  Her neck hurts and when she starts to rub it she can feel some of her hair has come undone.   He’s watching her as she turns her head to meet his gaze.

“Hey.”  He smiles moving a tendril of her hair out of her face.

“Hey yourself.  Where are we?”  Searching his face he seems relaxed.

“We’re almost there. You need anything?”  He says softly.

“Yeah, but first I need to get these hairpins out of my head, they really hurt.”  Siting up she starts to remove the hairpins.

“You’re missing several, can I help?”  His gaze radiates through her and she stops trying to feel for the pins turning in her seat toward him.  He reaches across to remove the pins and she leans in closer so he can reach the ones in the back.  So close to his handsome face, her eyes do a drive by his long dark eyelashes, travel down to his long slender nose that’s almost touching hers and they stop at his lips.  The lips she had hoped to feel against hers at the end of their date.    

“Taylor.”  Those lips caress her name.  He leans back in his seat and grabs her hand to lay the hairpins in it.

“Oh!”  She forgot about her hair she was so busy staring at him.  She tries to finger her hair into some presentable order.

“You’re always beautiful.”  He says with a sincere smile.  “You want me to get you anything inside?”

“I’m coming with you, I have to go to the bathroom.” She puts his tux on and rolls the sleeves back. “Wait, Let me get the gas.”  After he's done he comes around to her side and opens the door for her. He walks with her to the bathroom door then checks it before she goes in.  When she comes out he’s getting some bottled water.  She grabs a couple of bottles of soft drinks laying them in his arms to his surprise. 

From the snack aisle she grabs a bag of potato chips, a bag of popcorn and a bag of peanut buttercups then carefully arranges it all in his arms.  He doesn't want to but he holds all of her stuff.

“What?”  She ask.  “I don’t know where we’re going, you won’t tell me and I don’t know if there’s food there.”

“So you think you need all of this because you don’t know where we’re going?”  He responds.

“No, I need all of this because I’ve been traumatized, interrogated and on the car ride from hell with Mr. Grumpy and YOU won’t tell me where we’re going.”  

“Alright, will there be anything else, Princess?”

His condescending tone irritates her and she looks around the gas mart for something else to grab.  Her choice is a bottle of chardonnay wine and she takes it to the counter, sets it down and waits for him.   The clerk is watching them and trying not to laugh.  Santo comes to the counter and lets everything he’s holding drop on the counter not caring that the bottled water has dropped on top of the potato chip bag crushing some of the chips.

“Will that be all?”  The clerk is not looking at Santo, he’s looking behind him.   Santo turns around just in time to see Taylor with a box of Cheeze its and a box of chocolate covered raisins in her hands.

“I need salt and chocolate, so deal with it.”  She shrugs her shoulders.

“Can you hurry up and ring this up before I have to buy the store or strangle her.”  Santo tells the clerk.