Chapter 2

Chapter 2-My shoe

Racing across the street, Taylor ducks into the lobby of a beautifully decorated mid-sized skyscraper by New York standards.  The art deco interior gives the impression that it is more than a shoe company.  She hurries past the curious eyes that look surprised to see her back so soon from what should be her honeymoon.   She notices an empty open door elevator.  Making a mad dash for it she thinks herself fortunate until she notices the time she's going to be to the staff meeting. 

Wishing the elevator would go faster, she watches each numbered button on the display panel turn green as it swishes through every floor.  Finally she reaches her floor.  The anxious feeling in the pit of her stomach turns to apprehension.

It’s her first day back since her fiancé, Nathan Cromwell sent her a breakup text on her wedding day.  She can’t stop herself from reliving the moment when Nathan sent his best friend Randall with the message.  Randall told her Nate had something he wanted to say to her.  She was expecting to hear him say, I love you when she was handed the phone.  Instead, Nathan wasn’t on the phone, there was a text that surprised Randall and destroyed her.  While Randall had waited for her to take the phone from him, Nathan ended the call sending her a text message instead.

I’m sorry, I can’t marry you for reasons that are out of my control right now.  Please forgive me.  I do love you.”  ~Nate 

The opening of the elevator doors shakes Taylor out of her dark thoughts.  She exits the elevator looking at the wall directory showing her name and title of Creative Director.  She worked hard to get that title but can't help but wonder if this is all there is for her as she makes her way down the quiet hallway sprinkled with people.   

Taylor has worked for her step-father, Julian La Croix since she was eighteen.  She studied fashion design at college, Julian let her intern on her summer breaks. After getting her fashion degree she started working full-time eventually working her way up the company ladder.  

She's been Creative director since last year.  She's worked closely with Julian giving up a lot of her personal life to try to keep the company afloat. Her efforts have been appreciated but it’s all come too late to maybe save the business.  Julian has a balloon payment due in a few months he needs capitol to save the company.

She opens the glass door to her wing walking through the entry hoping not to run into anyone that was invited to her wedding.  She’s almost at her own office door she can see her office assistant looking at something on her computer just ahead of her. The assistant turns her head around noticing Taylor just as she reaches her desk.

“Oh hi,” Her assistance blushes looking startled to see her.    “Taylor…I’m sorry, I mean ah…Ms. Simon, ah…excuse me.  I mean Mrs. Cromwell.  Oh shoot….which is it?”  The blond haired assistant looks up at Taylor with apologetic brown eyes.

“It’s alright, Sienna, you can still call me just Taylor.  My last name is still Simon.”

Sienna flushes her cheeks turning red with embarrassment she averts her eyes trying not to show   pity for her boss.  Taylor recognizes the difference in Sienna's behavior this is what she was trying to avoid.  She doesn’t want anyone’s pity.  Trying not to make Sienna feel more uncomfortable, Taylor walks quickly past her desk to her office door.

“Ah…Taylor?”

“Yeah Sienna.”

“I um…..I….ah…think you should know that Mr. Cromwell was hear earlier he left something for you in your office.