Chapter 41

Yes, it’s time.  Chapters 39 and 40 had them separated long enough and hopefully set up the next part of the story.  Thanks for the continued support people.  Especially from those that have stepped out and communicated with me but don’t like to comment much.  I appreciate that you did it anyway.  It matters when writing something this intense.  I tried to cut the chapters down, but I’m a detailed writer and I didn’t want to hold it up any longer.   

Chapter 41

Santo recognizes the faces of the two employees coming toward him.  He met them when he first came to check out the warehouse.  He’s hoping they can give him some direction about this place.   He, Kyle and Wilton have split up after they had been walking around for a while seeing nothing.   The place is bigger than he remembered and they seem to be going in circles.  

“Mr. Donati, we didn’t know you were going to stop by here sir.”  We were just about to go to lunch.    We’re on a skeleton crew today.  It’s odd, a couple of the guys called in sick this morning.  Thanks for sending over some backup help to give us a break.Is there something we can get for you?" Ask one of the warehouse workers. 

“I didn’t stop by to talk with the staff and I didn’t send over any backup people because I didn’t know you had a shortage of people today.  Tell me how many new people are here?" 

“Oh, maybe six and there’s that one woman with them.  I don’t think she’s a warehouse worker.  Doesn’t look or act the part you know.”  The other worker comments. 

Santo has the two men take him to the area of the warehouse the new people are located.  When they get there, Santo sees two very large men that look like line backers.  He keeps himself and the two warehouse workers hidden behind merchandise packed in boxed crates. 

Pulling a business card out of his wallet he gives it to one of the workers.  “I need you to round up the rest of the regular workers in the building and get them out quietly and safely.  Get to a safe location and stay together.   I want you to call this number and tell them to get here immediately.” 

After the men rush off Santo calls Kyle and Wilton giving them directions to his location.  Checking out his surroundings he can see the men are packing up something in duffle bags.  There’s a warehouse bay next to the room they are in and the door is closed.  A food tray sits on the floor with a half-eaten sandwich.  He suspects that’s where they are keeping Zoe.  He impatiently waits for Kyle and Wilton carefully making his way back down the hallway to catch up with them. 

^

Taylor tries to ease drop on the conversation Tanner and Decker are having in the garden of the safe house.  Tanner finally broke down and told her Zoe was kidnapped on the ride over to the safe location.  He’s doing what he was told watching over her but she can tell he and Decker are not happy with their assignment of babysitting duties. 

Decker gets a phone call, he’s relaying the information from the call to Tanner.  Taylor wants to hear what they are saying or at least try to read their lips.  She walks around to another door running into Darcy on the way. 

“What are you doing?”  Darcy holds onto her by the arms. 

“What are they saying, I can’t make out what they are saying.  It’s got to be something about the guys and Zoe.  They know where they are.  I know they do Darcy.” 

“Come on, you’re a pregnant woman.  Act all hormonal and everything.  They’ll cave in and tell us I’m sure.”  Darcy opens the patio door waiting for Taylor to step out on it.