8. Sweaty Hugs

Chapter 8: Sweaty Hugs
Three and a half weeks- A mystery to be solved :)
Three and a half weeks till what? I asked myself as I put the paper plane into a pile with the rest.
---->
"Game day!" I yelled as I ran down the stairs. Today was the biggest game this season because we were playing the hardest team in our area, atleast thats what everyones been telling us. "Morning!" I chirped as I entered the kitchen to see my sister sitting at the table with a mug in her hand. She looked really disconnected. Our dad and her got into a big fight last night. I left before it happened but I could hear the yelling and crying from my room.
Then out of no where she asked in a very soft tone, "Do you think I'm making a big mistake?"
I responded with, "I mean, I don't know who he is but if you think that he really is the person you want to be with then you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks."
"The thing is that I do care. I care so much on what you guys think. You're my family. I want you guys to like him."
"Well, just talk it out with dad."
"I tried. He won't listen."
"So make him. Show him that he can trust you, that the guy you're gonna marry is going to be good to you." And then I left out the door with my granola bar and coffee.
---->
"Stop it!" I shrieked as Coen tried to pull me into a sweaty hug as I walked into the gym and he walked out. He had gym one period before me so we always saw each other. I ran as fast as I could but he was faster and eventually caught up to me and pulled me into a big wet hug. "Coen Aimes!" I yelled as he ran away with a big smile on his face.
"Have fun!" He yelled and then he turned around and slowed down to walk.
I walked into the locker room. Jo was already there and changed. "What was that about?" She asked as I opened my locker.
"Coen thought it would be funny to hug me when he was dripping sweat." I groaned as I changed into my gym uniform.
"That's so cute!" She squirmed.
"It's not. Sweaty hugs are not cute." I responded.
"Well I think it's adorable."
"Then you might want to change your definition because that is disgusting."
"Hey!" She shrieked as we walked out of the locker room into the gym.
We started to walk around the gym and talked. Then after three minutes of walking the whistle blew and the coaches told us to run for five minutes.
"Ugh." I groaned. "I had to run for twenty minutes yesterday during practice! Too much running! My legs feel like they're gonna fall off." I whined.
"Come on Fay!" Jo motivated me.
"No..." I groaned again. I started getting so tired that I dragged my feet and tried to keep my body from falling to the ground.
Finally the whistle blew and we all sighed in relief. "Go to your coaches section!" One of the coaches yelled. Everyone followed her orders and so Jo and I walked to our coaches section which was the section closest to the doors. She met us there and said, "I want you guys to do ten burpees, push ups, sit ups and jumping jacks for your warm up. Once you done sit down and then I'll tell you what we're gonna do."
Every one went and did their warm ups. Me and Jo went to our regular section and did our warm ups next to eachother. "You have no idea how much I'm dying." I told her as I started my burpees.
We all gathered near our coach and then she announced our new unit, "We are going to be playing volleyball for the next two weeks." I looked over at Jo with excitement and she just looked back at me with a scared look. She was not the most athletic person ever but she could still bump a ball pretty well. "Yay!" I cheered as we got up and got ready to play.
"Yay.." She cheered back.
---->
"We've got this ladies!" I cheered as we all ran onto the court ready to fight. We won the coin toss and got to serve first. "You've got this Shay!" I yelled at her as she caught the ball from the ref and started doing her pre serve routine. She served and it hit the net and then tipped over. The other team was on top of their game and the front row bumped it up to the setter and then got ready to hit. "
"Down!" I yelled and then the middle on the other team hit it straight down behind left back. I went for it calling, "Mine!" and then dove for it. It didn't go straight to the setter so Milly had to call for help. Sure enough left front helped her out and set middle and then she hit the ball down. The rally kept on going for good three to five minutes and then the right back couldn't get to the down ball that we hit at her so we got a point. 1-0, this was going to be a long game.
---->
The whole team was sweaty at the end of the game. We lined up and then went to high five the other team under the net. 'Good game, good game, good game..." I continued until we reached the end of the line.
At the end we all cheered and screamed because we had just beat the hardest team in our area. My sister ran to the court and pulled me into a big hug. "Congrats, lil!"
"Thanks!" I responded as I hugged her back. I looked to the bleachers to see who else came and just as I thought my mom came I couldn't find her. I looked up, down and all around and still didn't see her. I looked back at Lola and asked her, "Did mom come with you guys?" I asked.
She shook her head and then said, "Sorry." Just like every time. Why did I think that she would actually eventually show up. I could tell that Lola knew what I was thinking so she stopped it by saying, "Come on, lets go." She put her hand on my back and guided my outside to her bright red car.
We got into the car and I then I said, "I'm guessing you and dad are still a little tense."
"Yah, but I don't want you to worry about it. How about we go get dinner, just the two of us. You know, just for old times sake." She forced a smiled.
So did I and then I agreed by responding with, "Sure."
---->
"Soooo... What's his name?" I teased Lola as the waiter brought our drinks.
"Jonas." She said shyly.
"Ooo... Last name?"
"Does it really matter?" She asked.
"Well its going to soon be yours so I want to know it."
"Fine. It's Wall."
"No bad.." I said. "How old is he?"
"23." She said.
"Ooo.. a two year age difference..." I dragged out. "Where and when did you meet?" I asked.
"At school, during my freshman year in college."
"Is he cute?"
"Duh." We both started laughing and then the waiter came and gave us our orders. I got pasta and Lola got a soup.
"Where do you plan to live?" I asked.
"New York." She said before she blew on her soup. "You've asked too many questions. Now it's my turn."
"Ask anything. I'm an open book." I joked.
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"Nope." I responded without a second to think.
"Do you have you eye on anyone?"
"Not right now."
"Really?"
"What?" I asked somewhat confused.
"Nothing. It just seems like you'd have one."
"Okay.." I said. "Next question?"
"Do you think dad will ever be okay with this?" She asked.
"Of course! At the end of the dad he's your dad and he'll always there to support you." I said. "He's just trying to get used to you growing up so fast. He's worried that once you leave you'll never come back. That once you realize that you're happy with your new family, you'll forget about us. He's not worried about your decision, he's worried about what will happen."
"That sounds like something that he would say." She mentioned with tears in her eyes.
"Thats because he did."
---->
A/N: Seven more chapter! Thanks for reading and being awesome!
~Pham234 or Scarlett