Chapter 6

The next morning, Sasuna's phone rang. It was her mother calling. She sat in the kitchen. So that Maebara couldn't hear. "Hello?"

"Sasuna, it's Mom."

"Good morning, Mom. How are you?"

"I'm fine."

"How about Dad?"

"He's doing well. He really enjoys the new shoes you bought him."

"Oh good. I'm glad he likes them."

"Mhmm. Kira called me yesterday."

"About what?"

"He put his hands on you again."

Her voice froze. Her heart was pumping rapidly. "Y-yeah", she whispered. Her mother let out a heavy sigh. "You and Taakei need to leave. Both of you can come here. Please, Sasuna, you know how much this hurts me to know what he does to you. I hate it. I hate him. Please, come here." Sasuna was silent. Tears rolled down her cheeks. As much as she wanted to flee, she knew Maebara would drag her back. She was trapped.

For a moment, she thought of the benefits from living with her parents. She'd be more at ease, and be able to worry about herself for once. "Sasuna? Are you still there?" She jumped. "Yeah. Sorry. I'm here."

"I'm not forcing you to come. No one is, but just think about it. Ok?"

"I will."

"Good. I love you."

"Love you too.."

She hung up. The more she thought about it, the more she wanted to leave. But how? When? Maebara would easily find out where she went. Her parents were too frail to physically protect her, and she definitely wouldn't let him lay a finger on them. Conflict swarmed her thoughts. The escape would be difficult and dangerous.

She went back upstairs and stopped at Taakei's door. She cracked it open. He was under his blanket cuddling with his stuffed giraffe. Quietly, she entered his room. She slid into his bed and wrapped her arm around him. He was curled into a little ball. She stroked his hair and soon found herself falling asleep.

In her dream, Taakei had grown into a teenager. He was tall and handsome, not to forget kind. Sasuna had moved into another house where the both of them lived for years. One night, her and Taakei were watching a movie. He decided to turn in early and went to bed. She sat in the living room alone. Suddenly, the television started flickering. She turned it off seeing there was no use in fooling around with it.

She heard a thud in the kitchen. It was pitch black. The sound of the wind howling filled the room. Suddenly, a pair of hands grabbed her neck, the figure wrestled her to the ground. It was Maebara in a gruesome appearance.

His arms looked like they had multiple burn marks. There were scars on his face. His nails were long and black. Worst of all, his voice sounded more like growling. He thrashed her around on the floor. "You'll never leave me", he said. His grip tightened with every word. Sasuna's heart was pounding. Darkness was filling her vision.

When all hope seemed lost, she heard a loud crack followed by Maebara screaming. Taakei stood over him beating Maebara senseless with a bat. Quickly, Sasuna crawled away into a corner. Her heart didn't stop pounding. Her chest became tight, then her heart stopped. The last thing she remembered was Taakei sobbing and shaking her yelling, "Mom?! Mom wake up!!"

She woke up to Taakei poking her. "Mom?" Her face was wet with tears. She sat up quickly and wiped her face. "What's wrong, Mommy?" He tried to look her in the face. "Mommy had a bad dream." He hugged her side. "I'm sorry, Mommy. It's ok now." She sat him in her lap. Gently, she cradled him in her chest. That nightmare was a sign. She knew that they needed to get out, and fast.