Chapter 8

Upon arriving to the house, Sasuna saw Kira waiting on the porch. She came up to the window. "Kira? What are you doing here?"

"Your mom told me that you were coming here. I came to make sure he didn't follow you." She looked in the back seat and smiled. "Hi, Taakei." He smiled. "Hi Aunty Kira." Kira stepped back. "I'll help you unload. Go ahead and pull up." Sasuna slowly drove up the rugged driveway. Kira opened Taakei's door and carried him into the house. Sasuna brought in his suitcase.

She was greeted at the door by her father, Hiro. He welcomed her with a tight hug. "Sasuna, my sweetheart. I'm glad you made it." Her voice was timid. "Thank you, Dad. I'm glad I made it too." He grabbed the suitcase and took it upstairs. Her mother, Rina, fled down the stairs to greet her. She kissed Sasuna's cheek and hugged her tighter than her father. "You made it. Are you alright? Did he follow you?" Sasuna shook her head. "No. I'm fine." Although she said she was fine, she wasn't. Her face became pale. Her hands were shaking. "Kira, can you get her some water, please", she asked. She nodded, sat Taakei down on the couch, and went to the kitchen. Sasuna looked at Taakei. "Go see what Grandpa's up to." He nodded and went up the stairs.

As soon as he was out of sight, Sasuna collapsed onto the couch. "Sasuna", her mother cried. She curled up into a ball and stayed silent. "Sasuna! What's wrong?" She sat there, holding tears back. Kira walked in and tried to comfort Sasuna as well. "I feel so...sick", Sasuna finally said. "I can't do this. He'll kill me if he finds out." Rina pulled her up forcefully. "No. He will not lay a finger on you. Do you hear me? He's not hurting you again and I'll be damned if he does!"

"Mom, I can't run from him. He knows where you all live. I can't hide anywhere. I'm stuck no matter what ."

Kira shook her head. "You're not going to be stuck; not if we have anything to say about it. We're helping you whether you like it or not. Your parents didn't spend years giving you love and support to see you with a man that treats you like garbage. And I sure didn't spend my years as your best friend to not live up to the title. We love you too much to see this any longer." Tears began to roll down Sasuna's cheeks.

Just then, Hiro came down the stairs. Rina motioned him in. He sat in the chair. "So what's the plan?" There was a pause. "Well first, we need to figure out how to bring more clothes here. We'd have to get them when Maebara isn't home", Kira said. "That's true", Rina agreed. "They'd stay here with us. We have enough room. Hiro and I can clear up the spare room to put Taakei in. Sasuna, you can stay in the guest bedroom."

Sasuna rolled over. "What about leaving the house? I'd have to go to work or other places in general." Kira sat on the arm of the couch. "I'll take you to work. I don't drive much, but I'll do it for your sake."

"What about other places?"

"There's a young man about your age that lives down the street. He helps us out sometimes. He'll be happy to help. We'll ask if he can take Taakei to school and shadow you when you go out."

Sasuna's face still had terror written all over it. Rina held her tighter. "Sweetie, you can't let him scare you into coming back. You need to be here. Give it a chance; please..." Kira and Hiro looked at her. Their faces expressed their deep concern, almost begging her to stay. "Alright, I'll stay."

Her mother sat her up. "Good. Now go to bed, and don't worry about Taakei. We'll watch him." Sasuna stood up and looked at them all. "Thank you", she said. She ascended up the stairs to the guest room. It was everything she wanted. Quiet, warm, and inviting.