Chapter 7

After a long week, the weekend appeared. Sasuna picked Taakei up from school. "How about we go to the toy store today?" Taakei's smile turned into an elated grin. "Really?" She nodded. He exclaimed with excitement.

As soon as they entered the store, Taakei bolted towards the stuffed toys. "They're all so big", he shouted. Sasuna smiled. "They are indeed. Pick out your favorite one." He stared at them for a moment. Then, he picked up an orange monkey. Then suddenly, he picked up a big polar bear. "Taakei, I said one." He shook his head. "This isn't for me." She tilted her head. "Then who is it for?" He smiled and handed it to her. "You, Mommy."

She smiled back at him. "Oh honey, I don't need this. I'll be fine." He pushed it into her hands more. "I want you to have it. Please?" His eyes were begging her to take it. "Okay, I'll take it." He jumped with joy. "Good. Let's go!" He grabbed her hand and led her to the register. Upon turning home, Maebara's car was not in the driveway. Taakei fled to his room to play with his new toy. Sasuna sat in the living room and dialed her mother. "Mom?"

"Sasuna? Is everything ok?"

"I'm not even sure. He's not home, so I need to ask you something."

"Of course, honey. What is it?"

"When is the soonest that Taakei and I can come to live with you?"

"You can come tomorrow."

"Alright...I'll send Taakei first with most of our clothes, then I'll come Sunday."

"That's fine. Just please be careful...I'm begging you."

"I will. Thank you...so much."

"You're always welcome. Love you."

"Love you too."

She rose up from the couch. Next, she went upstairs to the master bedroom. Out of the closet, she pulled out a large suitcase. Immediately, she began packing up clothes and everything she needed. After packing it all, she carefully placed it back in the closet. She went into Taakei's room and grabbed his suitcase. "What are you doing, Mommy?" She placed the suitcase on his bed. "I'm packing your clothes. We're going to Grandma's and Grandpa's for a while." She began taking his clothes out of his drawers and putting them into the suitcase. "But...why?" There was a pause. "Because", she balled her fists,"Daddy keeps hurting us....and he isn't sorry. He doesn't take care of us like he should." Taakei became quiet. "If we stay here, you'll be taken from me, because it's too dangerous for you to live with him. And I can't lose you." She turned around to see his face. The joy was wiped away. Slowly, he walked over and buried his face into her stomach. Gently, she began rubbing his back. "I'm sorry. It'll be better, I promise. Go get your toothbrush for me." He retrieved the toothbrush without another word. Like she did with hers, she put the suitcase back where it was.

She picked Taakei up and sat him in her lap. "Things will get better. It'll change." She sat him down on his bed. "What did you want to eat?" He looked out the window for a moment. "Cucumber sandwiches sound good." Tenderly, she kissed his forehead. "Will do." As she went to the kitchen, she heard Maebara come through the front door. She began to drift into her own world, thinkning about what it would be like to finally be free.

She carefully cut the cucumber slices into small flowers. It was important to her that she could cheer Taakei up any way she could. She placed four flowers on a slice of bread, then sprinkled a pinch of pepper on them. The second slice of bread was carefully placed on top. She poured a glass of fruit juice to complement the sandwich. On her way to Taakei's room, she saw Maebara laying in bed. He was upright with his arms behind his head. It looked like he was meditating. Quietly, Sasuna went down the hall to Taakei's room.

She handed him his lunch, and left him to have some quiet time. The entire house was quiet. The bathroom seemed even more quiet. Sasuna pulled her shirt off of her shoulder. A large bruise sat there, red and black. It felt hot, like it was stamped onto her body seconds before. She curled her lips in as slightly poked it. Slowly, she closed the door. She turned on the shower and began to undress. The water was warm as it ran down, embracing her body. When it covered her face, a feeling of refreshment came over her. She felt new. Even the bruise felt like it fled from the water's healing.

After showering, she wrapped herself in a towel then went into the bedroom. She grabbed white shorts and a pink top. After getting dressed, she slowly sat on the bed being careful not to wake her husband up. She looked at him. He was more pleasant, not to mention less threatening when he was asleep. He actually looked more like the man he used to be.

Although he grew up in a rough home, Maebara grew up to be a compassionate person. He spoiled Sasuna before and after they were married. But one day, he became reckless and began to inflict pain on Sasuna. To this day, no one knew why. It was as if he never cared from the beginning. She couldn't wrap her head around it. It confused her how he made her feel like she was his priority, then like she was garbage. She missed the old Maebara greatly. Had he returned, she wouldn't have to seek refuge at her parents' house.

He rolled over and groaned. His eyes slowly opened. She forced a smile. "Hey sleepyhead. Did you have a nice nap?" He yawned. "Yeah. Can you make me something to eat?" She nodded. "There's another sandwich for you downstairs. I have to go see Dad for a little bit. I won't be gone long." She got up from bed. Maebara sat up. "What for?"

"He wants to spend some time with Taakei."

"How long will that take?"

"Not long, I promise."

"Fine", he said as he shut his eyes. Sasuna shut the door behind her. She came into Taakei's room and whispered. "Put on your shoes and grab one toy. I'm taking you to Grandma's and Grandpa's." Taakei nodded and did as he was told. Sasuna grabbed his suitcase and carried it down the stairs. Both of them sped to her car and drove off.