Chapter 1

"Stop it, you're hurting her", Taakei screamed. Once again, Maebara lost his temper over something miniscule and proceeded to blame, then punish, Sasuna for it. Maebara ruthlessly yanked her around by her hair, ignoring their son's crying. "I'm getting tired of you gettin' lazy!" He grabbed his wrinkled shirt, then waved it in her face. "I told you to iron this two days ago!"

"I'm sorry! Please, I'm really sorry", Sasuna yelled.

"You better be. Now get this done now!" He pushed her back and threw the shirt at her. He turned and watched Taakei sob. Terror filled his eyes when he saw Maebara's cold stare. Then, he proceeded to go to his office.

Sasuna picked up Taakei. His face was red and wet. His little body was trembling even when she held him. She stood and carried him to his room. For a minute, he didn't let go. His little arms were still wrapped around her neck. She then sang him a song:

"Go to sleep little one

Keep your head held high

Do not let life overcome you

From what you see in your eyes

One day we will be in a better place

So please be patient and wait"

The hallway was quiet, pretty much silent. Sasuna ironed all of Maebara's shirts as she was demanded. No wrinkle stood. The creases were so sharp it looked like they'd cut you. Not a single burn mark was on them.

Exhausted, she layed on the bed. Her head was pounding from his grip. She stared at the phone, debating on if she should call her parents or not. This abuse should not exist. Maebara had to be stopped. Sasuna had to remove herself and Taakei from the situation for their sakes.

But then what would happen? Knowing her husband, she knew he'd come after her and wouldn't stop until he got her back. Finally, she rolled over and went to sleep, hoping that she could rest for a few short moments. She needed as much peace as possible.