Chapter 27

Axel's POV

I was worried that the upcoming games would be difficult on our team who were still adjusting to their new training regimen, but we surprisingly won all of our games quite easily. I didn't have to really do anything, which helped my situation.

We're now at the court for the finals and so far no one has figured out that I'm number 8 of the Blue Koyas, since I have yet to show my distinctive tricks from back then.

"Hey, did you know that number 8 is on one of the two teams in the finals?"

"Yeah, of course. You wouldn't expect any less from him. But which team is he on? None of the players on the teams showed any of the moves that number 8 had"

"I don't know dude, but the suspense is killing me!"

I stifle a laugh at the guys' conversation as I walk by. It's not like I was hiding my tricks, it's just that I never had any chance to show them. 

Our team improved at an alarming rate after the training I put them through, so they didn't need to rely on me to help them win. But it'll be different with this team. The guys that my dad brought over that day were players from this team. I've heard a lot of rumours about the people from this school, and it turns out it wasn't just those guys that were jerks. They all are, it's almost like a gathering spot for the numbskulls of the town, who also happen to play basketball.

We entered the locker room and got changed. Before we head out, I decided to give them a little somewhat pep talk. Not really.

"Hey guys! Listen up!" they all turn and look at me as I stand on a bench. It'd be weird if I were trying to give a speech yet they had to look down to see me. It's very difficult being short.

"I hope you guys see the rapid improvement in your abilities, and team plays. We didn't win those last few games because of me, not at all. You guys played with your own abilities, and won together as a team. Now, I'm not going to lie and say that the next game will be a walk in the park as well, because I doubt it. I've actually played a few of their seniors that graduated a while ago, and I'll just say they won't be an easy team to deal with. They wouldn't mind playing a little dirty to ensure their win. Be careful and just play to the best of your abilities, and have fun. I've got your back" I say and I see them all smile.

"We'll follow your lead Capt" Yohan says while he salutes and I laugh.

"Let's go out there and show them what we can do!" I say and they all smile.

"Yeah!!"

We go out onto the court and the crowd cheers. I look around and spot someone familiar. I furrow my eyebrows and squint my eyes. It can't be.

"Guys, I'll be right back"

I was so focused on the familiar man, that I didn't notice they were doing an interview.

"So you were the Coach for the Blue Koyas while number 8 was there, correct?"

The man chuckles, "Yes, and I'll just say he was an interesting young lad. He wasn't tall or built, he was quite under average in height. But he had the skills to beat any NBA all-star player. That's why I was very upset when he randomly disappeared, the boy had infinite potential"

I stop in my tracks, realizing that Coach was having an interview. Should I still go up to him? I shake my head, deciding to just go with it. By the sound of this interview, it would seem that my identity will be exposed anyways, so might as well. I continue walking towards them, them not noticing me.

"He sounds like quite the interesting one, could you point him out to us? If I were to make a guess, I'd say he's number 10 on the Red Eagles over there" the interviewer says, pointing to a tall, built guy on the opposing team. Didn't Coach literally just say that number 8 wasn't tall or built? I've always wondered if interviewers pay attention to what the person they're interviewing is saying since they always reply way too quick, almost cutting the person off. Now I've got my answer.