Chapter Thirteen

- 

When it comes time for lunch, Luke doesn't even pretend like he'll sit by Percy's side like he has for the past nine or so years. He sits beside Thalia. Typical. Percy would probably be annoyed if both of their faces weren't lighting up like kids seeing Disney World for the first time.

"Are they dating yet?" a voice asks, far closer to his ear than Percy expects. He jumps.

Y/N, on reflex, flinches back. Percy blinks at her owlishly, and she takes a moment to have a laugh at his expense. Percy probably just stares dreamily, if he's being honest with himself. "Hi," he greets, after a few seconds of basking in Y/N's quiet laughter and even more muted smile. God.

"Hello," she replies cheerily. "Are they?" She tips her head towards their pair of friends, and Percy turns to look at them at the same moment they turn to look at himself and Y/N.

"What?" he and Luke say in unison, which sends Y/N and Thalia laughing together.

Thalia pushes her tray over so that Luke has access to her food. Percy would probably scoff if he weren't so happy for his friend. "I don't know the details," Percy tells Y/N in an undertone, shrugging. "Probably, though. They look cozy."

Y/N hums in acknowledgement, but she changes the subject. "Are you ready for the economics quiz tomorrow?"

"Of course," Percy says drily, since it's a pretty widely-accepted fact in their group that he's never really prepared for anything. "Might need a bit of help."

"I'd be honored," Y/N says, though he didn't really ask. He guesses it's kind of a widely-accepted fact that he and Y/N are study partners, too. "I have a proposal."

"Seems a little soon for that," Percy mutters under his breath, smiling proudly when Y/N barks out a laugh—a real one, where her eyes crinkle at the corners. He's staring. The only thing that helps him look away is the fear of having that seemingly ever-present blush creep up his cheeks.

He's known Y/N for a while, is the thing, and he's always recognized the fact that she's pretty, but sometimes she catches him off guard with how stunning she can be. Little dents appear in her cheeks—dimples, Percy thinks with a sense of dread. He's truly a goner.

"That was funny," she tells him, like he wasn't just hanging onto every second of her laughter. He smiles and nods his head in some form of a bow. "Seriously, though, sometime I think you should have to speak in full sentences for a whole day. It'll be a start."

"A start?" Percy asks, raising an eyebrow. "To what?"

"Improving your stunning lack of English skills," Y/N says plaintively.

He tries to paste some offended expression off his face. "I'm dyslexic," he announces. "Where is my sympathy?"

"That's hardly an excuse, since I am, too, and I can manage full sentences."