Chapter Twelve

- 

"Red and purple?" is how the majority of their friends greet Luke. The rest of them say 'purple and red?'

"Percy was very helpful," Luke says politely, gesturing to him. "Spent hours working on it."

Percy lifts up his stained hands to prove it. "I sure did."

"He needed the distraction."

Percy turns his head so fast, he's pretty sure he hears a few joints pop. "I did not," Percy says, very slowly. Luke looks at him impassively.

"Right, and while we'd all love to sit here and watch you two argue, I need a favor from Luke," Annabeth says, before Percy can muster up his best glare. "Can I interview you for the school paper? We're doing an article on talented students."

Luke nods immediately, eyebrows raising in interest at any chance to talk about his passion. He and Annabeth step off to the side to compare schedules, searching for an open time slot that matches up for a meeting. Percy tries to drill a hole through Luke's stupid, thick skull with only his eyes.

"Hey," Y/N says, sidling up to Percy and knocking her shoulder against his. "Walk me to class."

Another thing that should probably annoy Percy is Y/N bossing him around here and there. It doesn't. If anything, he's always more than happy to go along with whatever she says. Which is, like, pathetic as hell, but Percy doesn't see himself doing anything to change that in the near future. "Of course," he replies immediately, and inwardly cringes at how eager he sounds. "I mean, sure. If you want." He might outwardly cringe, this time. God, he's embarrassing.

Y/N, for her part, looks more amused than anything else. She leads the way. "Is everything alright?" she asks, after they're a good distance away from the rest of their group.

"Yeah, why?"

"Just seemed tense, with Luke," she says casually. "Wanted to make sure you guys hadn't had a fall out or anything."

"You're speaking in sentence fragments," Percy mentions, a smile working it's way across his face.

"Probably because I'm hanging around your grammatically incorrect self too much," Y/N replies, sounding a lot more annoyed than she looks. Percy bites his bottom lip to reel the smile in before it goes from amused to smitten. "But, really, all good?"

Percy gives her a dorky thumbs up. He kind of hates his reflexes. "Yep. It's all good."

"Busy today?"

"Another sentence fragment," Percy sing-songs, and somehow it's gratifying to give Y/N a taste of her own medicine.

She gives a loud sigh, but her eyes are bright. "Percy, are you busy today?"

He ducks his head, but it doesn't do much to hide his smile. "I'm not. Coming over?"

"I'm not so sure that I want to, now that you've gone out of your way to correct me," Y/N teases, stopping a few feet away from her classroom door. She pulls her backpack further up her shoulder. "My pride is easily wounded."