Chapter 13

I squeal a bit as Mr Hughes drops down to the ground "shit"I mumble as I drop my bag and get down on my knees. I quickly unwrap my scarf and press it against his stomach. I wasn't paying attention to anything else around me but Mr Hughes in front of me. The nurse inside me kicked in and fast.

"Can you hear me?" I ask Mr Hughes, he groans "alright, eyes on me okay?" I quickly scan the rest and realize his leg was bleeding as well.

"Julie?" A new voice comes up and it was Christoper.

"Great, I need your belt"

"My what?"

"Your belt! God dammit!" I yell, he quickly takes his belt off "quickly put it around his thigh, we gotta stop the blood"I tell him "I can't take my hands off his stomach"I say, not letting my voice waver.

"Tighten it"I demand Christoper, after he does so he speaks into his walkie.

"Officer one sixteen is down! We are in need of an ambulance ASAP"Christoper announces.

"Julie"I hear, I look back to Mr Hughes.

"It's fine, I got you, the ambulance is coming"I assure him.

"Julie, look at me"he says. I look at him, his hand slowly covers my two hands pressing down on his stomach trying to control the blood. "I'm sorry about what I-I said"he tells me.

He was speaking about Stephanie's party. I shake my head at him.

"It's fine, water under the bridge" I force a smile.

"I was wrong, you aren't a distraction to Leo. You are the best thing for my son, I'm sorry"He tells me.

"Mr Hughes, it's fine"I tell him giving him a tight smile.

"Take care of my son for me"He tells me. Before I could even respond I watch his eyes rolls back and they flutter shut.

Time slowed down as the paramedics rushed in and I slowly stand up, getting out of the way of the paramedics trying to do their jobs.

I'm a nurse and my job is to save lives, I just witnessed my first hands on death and it was my boyfriends father.

I sat beside Stephanie and Isla as Leo and the other cops carry Mr Hughes down the aisle.  My heart was beating out of my chest as they placed him at the front of the church. I watched as Leo and Finley folded and then draped the American flag over the white closed casket. I watched the Chief saluted which caused every cop in the church to stand up and salute as well.

I watch my boyfriend as he tucked his hands behind his back and stared at the casket in front of him.

"Calling Captain Hughes, Calling Captain Hughes" Chief Jameson says into his walkie on his shoulder.

"this is the last call for Captain Hughes" I feel my heart sink into my stomach.

The church became quiet and the only noise that could be heard was from the small sob from Isla who was tucked into Stephanie's side, she too was crying but held it together as much as she could.

"No response" Chief says, I look back to my boyfriend. He stood tall behind the casket wanting people to praise him for being so proud about this but even I knew he was breaking inside despite their history.

"Radio number one sixteen is out of service after 20 years of police service. Gone but never forgotten" Chief says. All the cops at the front of the church stepped out of line in formation and down the stairs. My eyes jumped between each cop before they landed back to Leo who was making his way towards me.