:: 05 ::

Zacky's POV

I kicked the door open, trying to hold Chris as close as possible because she was shivering from the cold.

"Fuck Chris." I muttered.

"I'm, I'm sorry." She whispered.

I looked down at her eyes that were half lidded and looking up at me.

"It's alright Chris. Don't worry about it right now." I told her softly, pushing a strand of hair out of her face.

I laid her across the couch, running to the guest room and ripping the comforter off and throwing it over Chris.

She was still shivering and I sat next to her, running my hands up and down her body, trying to cause friction and body heat.

It was a couple minutes later that the shaking stopped and she fell quiet.

She'd fallen asleep.

I sighed deeply as I looked down at her.

She's so beautiful.

I know she doesn't' think so.

Not anymore at least.

But a few years ago, Chris really was something.

She was the envy of every man.

And every guy I met was jealous that I was such good friends with her.

I smiled at all of the memories we have shared over the years.

Some good, and some so, so bad.

I frowned deeply.

Chris has been through so much.

And it's not fair.

I heard light footsteps and my head shot up.

Standing there, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed over her chest, was Val.

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

"Hey Val. What are you doing here?" I asked her, standing up quietly.

"Looking for you. Making sure you're okay." She answered quietly.

I nodded and made my way over to her, giving her a hug before leading her into the kitchen.

"Matt's worried about you. Said he's been trying to call you and you're not picking up." Val said.

I looked in the refrigerator for something to eat.

"Yeah. I've been kind of busy. Was there something he wanted to talk to me about?" I asked her.

I pulled out the mayonnaise, bread, salami, bologna, mustard, tomatoes and cheese.

"What are you doing Zacky?" Val asked in a soft voice.

"Making a sandwich. Do you want one?" I asked her in confusion.

"That's not what I mean. And I think you know that." She said.

She walked forward and leaned across the island in my kitchen.

I put the food down and turned to face her with a sigh.

"She's my friend Val. I know you and the guys don't understand that. But I need to help her." I said.

"Why? Zacky, she is a grown woman. If she wants to be a drug addict, doing God knows what for those drugs, it's her decision. She shouldn't be calling you at all hours of night to come and pick her up or bail her out when she's in a bind." Val said firmly.

I looked up at her, trying to keep the anger from my face.

"I see you've been talking to Gena." I grumbled.

"Of course I have. She's really worried about you Zacky. Honestly, what the hell are you doing?" Val exclaimed.

"I'm taking care of my friend. Just like I would do with Matt, Brian, Jimmy, Johnny, you, Gena, Cam, Jason, Matt ---," I ranted.

"Okay. Okay I get it. I know you care about her Zack. And I know you feel responsible for her. But when does that stop? When do you get to start living again? When do you get to hang out with your friends, make music, spend quality time with the woman you love?" Val said.

Sudden wave of guilt washed over me.

She's right.

I've been neglecting all of the other people in my life because of Chris.

"I don't know what you guys want me to do. I can't just turn her away." I told Val, turning back to the food and started to make a sandwich for me and Chris.

Who knows how long it's been since she's eaten real food.

"Zacky, this isn't fair to you." Val insisted.

"You know what Val, I don't need to hear this from you. Gena yells at me enough two people. So if you only came here to nag me, you might as well go." I told Val angrily.

Her eyes widened in shock and I mentally cursed myself out.

I didn't mean to snap on her.

Val nodded and turned to walk away.

"Wait! Val I'm sorry." I said.

She stopped and turned to look at me.

"If we didn't care, we wouldn't say anything. But you're family. We're always gonna have your back. Can you say that about Chris?" Val asked.

I opened my mouth to answer but I couldn't get any words out.

Val nodded again and turned to the door.

"I'll tell the guys you too tired to talk. See you later Zacky." Val said as she closed the door behind her.

I sighed heavily, running my fingers through my hair roughly.

"Great. Fucking fantastic." I growled as I headed back to the kitchen and finished making the sandwiches.

I walked back over to the couch and saw that Chris' eyes were wide open.

Fuck!

She looked up at me and there was so much sadness in her eyes.

She heard it all.

"Hey Chris. How long you been up?" I asked her nervously.

"Long enough." She muttered, sitting up slowly.

I sat down next to her and handed her the sandwich.

She took it from my hands but didn't eat it, just stared down at it.

"Don't worry about her, Chris. She just doesn't understand why I'm helping you." I told her softly.

"Yeah. That makes two of us." She muttered as she lifted the sandwich to her lips and started slowly eating.