Chapter 1

Sean did not want to be here. He crossed his arms defiantly and looked at the other applicants. He was the only male there and damn him if it didn't make him feel uncomfortable. By the pheramones they were letting off he could only guess that they came to see if they were the alpha's mate. He, however, came because he needed the money. He couldn't give a rat's ass about the alpha or his power hungry coucil.

He hated all of them.

They thought just because they had power they could do whatever they liked to those beneath them. And being an omega, he received the full force of that abuse. When he was a teenager the beta and his friends used to pick on him for his size.

Now he was a grown man. He may not be the bulkiest man out there but hours at the gym made a significant improvement to his once skinny frame. He had such an intense dislike for his pack memebers that he severed the bondd between him and his wolf. To be honest, he didn't even feel like a part of the pack anymore.

All of a sudden the teetering girls became silent and Sean deduced that meant the alpha was coming. Having shut down his wolf, his senses were less tuned than those around him.

The man opened the door and all of the females in the room bowed down. He didn't. He no longer recognised the commanding air of an alpha. Consequences of him silencing his wolf made him almost human.

He looked up and his eyes met the bright green orbs that was the alpha. Something stirred inside of him and he felt his stomach tighten.

What the hell?

Those eyes raked him over, confusion and disbelief etched into their depths. As the man shamelessly checked him out, Sean could do nothing to stop the quesy feeling in his stomach, the fluttering of his heart and he damn well could not control his sudden erection.

◇◆◇◆◇◆

Remi was nervous and he hated it. The moment he registered that the brown-eyed beauty was watching him as he checked him out, his cheeks took on a light pink tinge.

He cleared his throat and avoided looking in the man's direction.

"To those who came here just to find out if they were my mate, you may leave now. I require serious applicants," he watched as the majority of the women left, their heads hung low and he could have sworn that one started crying. He rolled his eyes. Women were such a pain.

"To those who expect this job to be easy and just a way to pass the time, you may leave now. This isn't a game," he watched again as five of the fifteen applicants left. Most were teenagers and he nearly laughed remembering the time that he had the same attitude.

He sort of felt proud that his mate was one of the only applicants remaining.

"The rest of you, congratulations. My secretary will call you in one by one as she interview each of you. Those that gain her approval will be interviewed by me."

With those words he turned his back and strode out of the room.

His secretary was actually his mother because he did not trust anyone other than her to handle his businesses. She was a tough nut to crack and if you passed her test, that was saying something. His own father had to grovel for eight years before she said yes and he hoped his mate would survive the cut.

◇◆◇◆◇◆

"Good morning sugar," the kind plump lady looked over his resume and smiled at him, questions swimming in her gaze.

"Good morning Mrs. Vallenmort, how are you?" Sean eased himself into the plush chair.

"I'm doing wonderful. Let's get down to business, shall we sweetie," she turned her piercing green eyes towards him.