Chapter 9

Remi strode into his father's office, Sean following behind him. He was actually shocked that his mate allowed him to come. He looked at his handsome mate and observed the harsh line he pressed his lips into and the tense set of his back.

Sean attributed that to Remi not knowing what was going to happen.

Remi knocked once and then without waiting for an answer walked in. He shot Sean a stern look, almost telling him to ensure that he behaved. Sean nearly rolled his eyes but then grudgingly remembered that this was probably what his mate was talking about.

There was a big burly man seated across from Remi's father. The man was surrounded by who Sean assumed to be his high commands.

"Remi," his father nodded at them.

"Hello papa-in-law," Sean smirked. Remi shot him a stern look, but Sean could easily see the underlying amusement.

Mr. Vallenmort huffed and turned his attention back to the group that was gathered there.

"This is my son, the future Alpha, and this is his mate, Sean," the Alpha introduced, "Let's get down to business, shall we?"

Remi went to shake hands with each of the men and indicated for Sean to do the same. Remi propped his hips on the corner of the desk and pulled his mate into his arms. He faced the men and only then did he see the scars.

The man who appeared to be the Alpha had minor cuts on his bare arms and a long gash that seemed to start from his neck, only to disappear into the tank top that he wore. He was very muscular and tough looking yet Remi could detect a form of hesitation and fear. The man looked like he could be a powerful Alpha with his piercing brown eyes and his cropped hair, yet his demeanor suggested otherwise.

The others were much of the same. They were decorated in cuts and though they physically looked the part to be high ranking wolves, they acted differently.

Rule number one in the Alpha handbook was that when faced with another Alpha, you show no fear lest they take advantage of you. These guys broke that rule.

"I'm Alpha Akin and they are Beta Carim," the man pointed to the African American guy on the left, "and Third Rako."

The guy on the right, Rako, was the most timid one there. His green eyes were constantly shifting and he seemed to be very nervous. His inky black hair lay a matted mess on his forehead and his skin was covered in goosebumps.

"I heard you wanted refuge for you and your pack Alpha Akin," Remi began, "May I ask why?"

The man had to answer the question whether he wanted to or not. If not he knew that the powerful Alphas would chase him out of their territory.

"I need to first start at the beginning," he took a deep breath.

"I formed my pack from misfits. Basically anyone who was kicked out of their pack for being different, or not being as strong, or even petty things like servants who their Alpha deemed were useless. I formed it because I got kicked out withy mate because our love was different. This was eight years ago," the man's eyes shifted to Carim.

Remi and Sean saw the exchange and Sean swore that he could almost choke with all of the love that was passed through that glance.

"At first it was just me and Carim. Then we met Rako abandoned in a cave and about to be killed by rogues. Carim and I fought them off and managed to kill them. We found the other members of our pack similarly. They were either abandoned or wanderers or kicked out."

"So basically, you're a rogue pack," Mr Vallenmort leaned back into his chair and his eyes hardened.

"No Alpha, we're not. Rogues have lost touch with their humanity and thrive on their killer wolf instincts. If you don't believe me then look at my eyes. Rogues' eyes are bloodshot red. We are simply a pack of werewolf society's rejects," the man explained calmly.