Chapter Thirty-Five

[GIF of elliot and vienna on the side wasn't made by me, so all rights to the maker, but dang, it fits so perfectly its scary; and the song to the side is "Where To Now" by Cider Sky; please listen to it, it perfectly fits this chapter~]

* * *

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

I never thought four quarters could get me so far in life. 

     Four quarters have never terrified me so much, either. 

I didn't have enough money for a bus ticket, and I really didn't want to take Elliot's Uncle's truck. It would just be another heavy reminder of everything that's happened, of everything that could've happened. Besides, Elliot still had the keys back at the hospital, and he's made it clear that he wanted me out of his life. 

   So that only left one option. Frankly, it was the last resort, and something I dreaded. But I couldn't push it off any more. 

   I found the nearest payphone a block away from the hospital. It was one of the plastic box ones, the kind of payphones that you can physically get into and lock the sliding door behind you. I locked the door, staring at the four quarters in my hand. I picked out the one where Eli had written his number on it, and copied his number, for safekeeping, on my inner wrist with the pen attached to the payphone. 

    Just in case, I thought. And also because his number was the last part of the roadtrip I had left. I didn't want to lose him too. I finally inserted the four quarters in and dialed with nervous fingers. 

   Someone picked up on the first ring. 

   "Hello?" they answered. Even if it was five in the morning, their voice was full of frantic energy. 

 I sighed deeply, closing my eyes, bracing myself to say such a heavy word.

  "Mom?" 

   "...Vienna?" 

   "...Hi," I softly sighed. 

   "Oh, Vienna... don't you dare hang up on me like that again, okay? Do you know how worried Stephen and I are?" she immediately snapped, like a twig. I started second guessing how I spent these four quarters. 

    She must have taken notice in my silence, since she sighed heavily and tried again. "Why are you calling? Where are you? Are you coming soon?" The anger had been repressed from her tone since the last time I called her, leaving only worry left for me to hear. "You do know that your graduation is at noon?" 

  "Yes, Mom, I'm aware," I said flatly. 

  "And you can make it back in time? Where are you?" her questions never seemed to end. "Or better yet, what state are you in? Because now, I can barely keep up with you, you shouldn't be traipsing across the country like this, let alone keeping me in the dark about this--" 

  "--I'm in California, already Mom," I cut in, "In fact, I'm ten minutes away, I'm in Bell Gardens, near a hospital." 

   "--A hospital?" my mom's voice turned shrill. "Vienna, what's going on? Are you okay? Is anyone hurt?" 

   I let my eyes close. "I'm perfectly fine, Mom. But the boy I was travelling with, his friend was staying in a hospital here here and he was my ride but now he isn't because something happened with his friend, er, more than a friend, or -- anyway, I don't have a ride anymore... I was wondering... if you could... pick me up?" 

   It would be the understatement of the century to say that I wasn't ready to face my mom so soon. Before, we were eating dinners in our own rooms, on different floors of the house. I planned my schedule according to when she wasn't at home, and every chance I got, I would slam the door in her face whenever she tried to apologize. I admit, it was horrible and childish of me, but I didn't know how else to deal with my anger.