Chapter Eighteen

[ WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ IS UNEDITED & MAINLY A FILLER CHAPTER BUT THERE ARE BIGGER THINGS TO COME IN THE NEXT CHAPTER JUST A FOREWARNING, AS WELL AS THIS IS UNEDITED. HAPPY READING AND IM TERRIBLY SORRY FOR THE WAIT AND THE CAPS LOCK </3 stay beautiful ;') ] 

- x - 

[ eighteen ] - borderlines 

              tuesday morning - three days until graduation 

It amazes me how many people we've actually encountered in the past few days. A week ago, I didn't think I would be struggling to get across the country. A week ago, I was not-so-happily floating in my own social bubble, attached to the hip of my would-be ex, who was more plastic than tupperware. A week ago, I was comfortable in the west coast, where I truly belonged, but at the same time, never really did. And a week ago, I wasn't sitting in the back of a neon pink motorcycle clinging to Elliot's finely built torso, knowing that he was seriously, utter, divinely pissed at me. 

But a lot can change in a week, and it's doesn't always go according to plan.

- x - 

"I can't believe you invited him to come with us," Elliot spoke through his gritted teeth, his back turned to me as we waited for Ryder to give us a spare motorcycle. We were standing in the liquor store parking lot, and soon after Ryder offered us a spot in his motorcycle road trip to a city beyond Wichita in exchange for taking his son to New Mexico, Elliot was less than amused with the situation. 

"Elliot, this isn't a party," I huffed. 

"Of course not. It's pretty far from that," he rolled his eyes before pursing his lips tightly. "But we hardly the know guy, or his father, and we're supposed to watch over him until we get to Albuquerque?" 

"I'm sorry but is Elliot the Optimist getting cranky?" I teased, only to receive his narrowed, unamused eyes. What was the big deal anyway?

"Elliot, loosen up. His dad asked us for a favor, and considering what he did for me, I think babysitting his son a couple hundred miles is the least I could do," I told him. 

He fell deeply silent, before asking, "What exactly... happened back there?" 

A part of me wondered what would have went down if Elliot was in the parking lot with me instead of going to the bathroom somewhere in the woods. One thing was for sure, I wouldn't have been as terrified if he had been there to stop the whole thing, or at least slow the man down before we ran for our lives. But he wasn't there, and the goosebumps still lined by skin from the whole encounter. 

My eyes averted to the distant road beside the liquor shop, not wanting to see the way he would react when I told him. "I was just asking for directions in the liquor shop, like I said I would, and this guy -- Jack, I think was his name -- started... grabbing me." 

His eyes widened to the size of the sun. "He what?

"Well, maybe not that exact term," I shrugged, "But he was pretty pissed off and he saw me standing in the parking lot, waiting for you, and cornered me. He had his arms around me and everything..." 

My voice faltered and I had the overwhelming urge to shake my whole body free of the protruding goosebumps. I closed my eyes tightly at the horrifying vision, Jack's words and intentions never really escaping my mind. 

"Vienna." 

For a second, I lifted my head, and his worried glance depleted the fear rising inside of me, his expression shifting from twisted convulsions of disappointment to a genuinely shocked face. "If only I had known," he shook his head. "If I only I was there. You could've called."