Chapter 13 - College

Blake was left to her own devices the next again day.  Harry escaped early in the morning to go out on his boat with Jake Willis, his new recruit, and a couple of boys from Martina’s restaurant.  Ivy and Kerri Garcia, whom were both planning on going to the same college in New York, left for the eight o’clock train for their first college visit.  Which left me with Tyler.

He turned up at my door just after Ivy and Kerri had gone for the train station and had brought with him coffee and doughnuts to sweeten me up for the drive to Maine University.

“Why can’t you drive yourself there?” I asked, doing my best not to sound as irritable as I felt.

“Harry.” Tyler said as way of an answer.

“Of course.  Grandfather.”

“He didn’t want you going alone.  Besides, we’d end up bumping into each other any way.” He shrugged.  “What’s she doing here?” he asked, noticing Blake vegging out on the sofa.

“I’ll explain in the car.  Let me just grab my bag.  Are you going to be all right by yourself, Blake?”

“As long as you lock the door behind you.”

“You don’t have a key.”

“Nope.”

“Are you sure you want me to lock you in?”

“Yup.”

I sigh.  “Suit yourself.”

Tyler pushed the passenger chair in my car as far back as it would go but he still couldn’t get comfortable while his long legs crossed together awkwardly over and over.

“Why don’t we just take my car?” he offers.

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because, if you start acting like an ass again I’ll have a way out, this way.”

“So you’d just leave me there?”

“Pretty much.”

“That’s harsh, Reese.”

“But not undeserving.” I pointed out.

“Well, then, I’ll do my best to behave myself.” He sighed.  “Are you ready for this?”

“Ready for what?”

“College.  Without Matt.”

“Matt got into Colby.  If he were here that’s where he’d be heading right now.”

“Don’t you think you ought to give them a heads up?”

“What do you mean?” I asked, my brow burrowing.

“That Matt might not, uh… might not be attending.”

“What are you saying?  Of course, he’ll be attending!  We’ll find him by then, Ty!”

“Reese, you need to face the possibility that he might be…”

“Get the hell out of my car, Ty!”

“What?”

“Get out!” I hit him with his bag.  “I can’t believe you!  I’m not even out of the street and you’re already pissing me off!  Get – Out!”

“All right, all right!  I’m getting out!”

Tyler scrambled out of the car avoiding each push and shove I aimed at him.  As soon as he was out the door I tore down the road, ignoring his shouts and pleads.  The bastard! I thought angrily.