Chapter 3 - Sex Education

On Monday I woke, neither happy or sad about the fact that I didn’t have to be at school within the hour.  I reset my alarm to go off at eight instead of seven and put on the TV since I couldn’t fall back to sleep.

The reporter, who we saw on the news last Saturday night, was on again this morning talking about the mysterious disappearance of Gerrard Knox’s ‘body’.  The police had started to believe that he might have escaped the sinking car after all and had begun a ‘man hunt’ to search all over Damariscotta and Newcastle.

“A nurse coming home from her late shift at the hospital has reported to police a sighting of the elusive Gerrard Knox.  A hotline has been started for any sightings of Mr Knox.” The grey suited man reported.  “Please, do not hesitate to call the number now appearing on screen if you believe you have seen him too.  Now, here’s Ingrid the weather forecast.”

I flicked through the channels, smirking slightly when I came across and old favourite of mine.  H20: Just Add Water.  I didn’t need the weather girl to tell me what kind of day it was going to be, I thought sourly to myself.  Another sticky, humid day, going by the light streaming in through my window and the sound of birdsong, from the tree outside.

After eight I got up to shower before Ivy could beat me there.  Ivy hadn’t been herself since the news reported her grandfather missing from his car wreck.  She was stuck somewhere in her emotions between grief, cautiously optimistic and terror.  She hoped, like the rest of us, the police would catch him, if he really was alive.  But she wanted him to be rehabilitated, he was her grandfather after all.  Her true family.

“I must sound so ungrateful to you and Harry.” She said as we walked together down Main Street with the sun at our backs a couple hours later.

Ivy was dressed in tiny pale denim shorts, black flip flops and a plain pink halter neck vest whilst I sported a pale peach summer dress and white sandals.  We stopped in at Jolt for some iced beverages.  Sitting at it’s outdoor tables, hiding from the sun under a parasol.

“You worry too much, Ivy.”

“I know, I just want you to know that I am grateful for the way you guys accepted me in.”

We know!” I said forcefully.  “Seriously, Ivy, stop worrying about us.  And stop worrying about Gerrard for that matter.  He’s clearly still alive.”

“So you say.”

“So the police say.  They’ve been in and out of that river all week.  He’s not dead.”

“Plus Isla’s not been back for a few days…”

“Isla can take care of herself now she’s back in the water.”

“How do you know that?” she badgered on.  “How do we know that she hasn’t swam up to see us but Grampa has been hiding in a tree just waiting for her to show?”

“Okay, now you are making up scenarios just so you have something to worry about.  I’m sure Isla is fine.  She probably just needs some space and time to cool off.  I’m sure it wasn’t her favourite birthday.”

“Boy, it’s hot out.  What are you girls drinking?” Tyler asked, surprising us both by dropping into the spare seat at the table.

“Raspberry iced tea.” Ivy said suddenly waspishly.

“Same.” I said, not meeting his eyes.

“Well, I’m going in.  Do you guys want anything?”

“No, thanks.” We chimed monotonously.

“So,” Ivy started after Ty retreated into the cool shelter of the café, “that was some clinch last night.”

“Beg pardon?”