Chapter 4 - Eighteen

The more I wanted time to slow down the more it seemed to speed up.  Another week past uneventful but then I woke up and realised today was the big day.  Not only was I coming of age, I was to find out whether or not I had the ability to become a mermaid once I went into the water.

Of course, when I awoke it was before the other two in the house and I started to watch TV again to pass the time but I just couldn’t seem to keep still.  First I got up and showered, made breakfast, tidied my room and dusted the living room all before nine o’clock.

“What are you doing?” Ivy asked, surprising me as she appeared at the bottom of the stairs.  “It’s your birthday, you shouldn’t be doing chores.”

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Are you nervous?  Is that what this is about?”

“Wouldn’t you be?” I asked, pulling out the hoover.  “I just need to be distracted.”

“I was going to bring you breakfast in bed.” She said, disappointedly, noticing the waffles I was still making for us all.

“That’s really sweet and I appreciate the gesture but…”

“I get it.” Ivy smiled warmly.  “Okay, you go put on something cute and I’ll call everyone round.”

“It’s too early!”

“Go dress!” Ivy said, turning back to the stairs.

Inwardly I sighed to myself and jumped at the sound of Shauna knocking on the glass panes of the front door.  She waved energetically and smiled brightly.  In her arms were a couple of colourfully wrapped parcels and a video camera.  After allowing Shauna in I was about to close the door again when Matt and Tyler followed.

“What are you all doing up at this time?” I said, complaining slightly.

“Well, we figured you’d be so nervous about the change that you’d want to get it over and done with quick.” Explained Matt.

“And we got to talking last night about how we didn’t document Isla’s change so we figured we’d be able to film you instead.” Shauna said excitedly holding the camera out to see.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea.  What if someone gets hold of that?  Besides, I’m not doing anything until after I’ve been to the graveyard.  I’ve got flowers for both Ella and my Dad.”

“You can at least open your presents.” Tyler said, almost grumpily.

“All right, Ivy.  I’m awake you don’t have to push me.” Harry said, with Ivy at his back pushing him downstairs.  “Happy birthday, darling.” Harry gave me a tight hug before depositing himself in front of a dish of waffles.

Shauna dropped a parcel into my lap as I settled into the armchair near the fireplace.  It was a new book bag, black and blue with grey piping and my name carved into a sort of metal bar on the bottom left corner.  It had plenty of little compartments to hold pens and stationary and little pockets on the front flap of the bag.

“That’s great, Shauna.  Thanks so much, it’ll come in real handy for college.”

“And one more.” She said, cheerily.

This one was much smaller and thinner.  Beneath the wrappings was a slim black velvet box which held a charm bracelet with one lone charm upon it.  A Mermaid.

“I figured you could add more to it too if you want.”

“It’s beautiful, Shauna.  So pretty.  Thank you.”