Chapter 5 - Mother Dearest

I blinked away the sunshine in my eyes, hoping and wishing I was seeing things.  But there she stood.  Lora Bray-Rhodes, the woman who ran out on my Dad and I nine years ago.

She hadn’t changed much really.  Her blonde hair was a little duller than normal and she had a few more lines round her eyes and forehead.  She wore tight black jeans, knee high boots, black leather jacket over a thrill white blouse.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I found myself asking.

“It’s your eighteenth birthday.”

“Yeah, well, you’ve missed the last nine years.  Why the hell is today any different?”

“I know how angry you must be with me.”

“Oh, I doubt that.”

“Please, princess.”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Then what do I call you?”

“Why don’t we just stick to Miss Rhodes and I’ll call you Miss Bray.  Seeing as we’re practically strangers any way.”

“Actually, it’s Mrs Chambliss now.”

“You remarried?”

“Yes.”

“Huh.  Any kids?”

She cleared her throat.  “Yes, two boys and a girl.”

“Well, good for you.” I said, turning away.

“Wait, where are you going?”

“To the people who actually give a damn about me.”

“I care about you.”

“No, the only person you care about is yourself.  You know what pisses me off, more than the fact that you got your happy ending?  Is that you had to come here to rub it in my face on my eighteenth birthday, nonetheless.”

“That’s not why I’m here.”

“Oh, sure it is.  Or is it the other reason?  You know, the reason why you left in the first place?”

“Oh, you seem to have it all figured out.”

“Yeah, I do.”

“Then enlighten me, Reese.  Why did I leave?  Why have I come back?”

“Because, you can’t look at me without wondering ‘is this what Ella would look like if she were alive’?  Believe me, I understand.  I think the exact same thing when I look in a mirror.”

“You’re so wrong.”

“It doesn’t matter.  Whatever the reason for your return, I officially don’t care.”

“Reese, please.  I came all this way.”

“For what?  Did you think I’d see you, melt, forgive you and run into your arms, beg you not to leave again?”

“Something like that… yes.”

“Well, to hell with you.  I’ve spent too many sleepless nights crying over you, wishing you were there for me like any mother should.  But I can still save myself and this day.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m not going to let this day be about you.  I’m gonna go home and spend time with my real family and I’m going to forget this ever happened.  So why don’t you go back to wherever it is you came from and don’t try to get back in touch.” I said, turning away again.