7 - Captain?

He's been to many places within the village of Hage, but he's never been in another realm before.
The slender man with spatial magic huffed. " Yami, are you planning on recruiting him into this squad? "
" Yeah. After he takes the exam, I'll make it official. "
" But why after the exam...? "
Yami smiled after he took a drift of his cigarette.
' Huh? I didn't agree to that...! How would I even take the exam without a grimoire?! '
This was the first time he'd walked through a portal. It made him feel a little lightheaded, but it could have also been the way he'd been breathing fast for the past couple of minutes.
Looking up at the building, he was in awe. It was enormous compared to anything else he's ever laid eyes on. The awe soon disappeared as a shot of fire exited out of a now smashed window.

" You gonna go in? "
" R-Right, sorry. "

As he walked in, he saw a fire mage and a lightning mage dueling.
" I'll beat your ass, Luck!! "
" You'd have to catch me to do that, haha! "
The fire mage shot bullets of fire at the hyper lightning mage. " Get back here!! "
The blonde one's only reply was a giggle as he bounced off the walls of the building.

" Wow... I don't want to be that guy, but are you sure it's safe enough to stay in here for more than five minutes? " Asta asked the captain.
" I'm sure you'll be fine. The least you'll get is a concussion. "

' Ah, delightful. That really clears things up. '

With his eyes focused on the two fighters, he hardly noticed a drunk woman who bared lavender eyes sliding an arm around his shoulder. It was pretty easy to tell nowadays if someone was drunk to him.
" Hey, so you're the new recruit, huh? You look pretty roughed up, looks like you've been through a lot. "
Her voice was... Very slurred.
" Y-Yeah, I guess you could say that. "
He felt himself shiver as she traced the lines of his neck. " I can give you something as a gift for making it out alive, you know. "
Asta lightly pushed her away out of nervousness. " N-No, it's fine, there's nothing special about it. "
Why do those things always happen to him?

A short girl interrupted the woman holding a cupcake in her hand. " Hello, la! Here's a treat for you, newbie! "
" Thanks... "
He took a reluctant bite out of it.
It tasted fucking amazing after days of not having anything but poisonous berries, even if he wasn't keen on eating.
" Oh god, this is so good, "
He inhaled the rest of it hesitantly and bowed to the short girl in front of him.
" Shuuuu... "
Asta looked behind him and awkwardly backed away from the tall person until he bumped into someone. Turning around, he apologized and freaked out when he saw a white face with black circles around his eyes and black lips. All he could hear is mumbles.
Was he making fun of him for being too clumsy? Was he apologizing as well? Was he talking about being best friends with him for the rest of his life, where they would eat together, sleep together, bathe together, fight together, use the restroom together and tell each other secrets?
...Okay, that was a little too specific.
" Oh, my sweet angel Marie. I want to see you again so badly, " A man with greyish pink hair whispered.
' And that's creepy as hell. ' Asta shivered just as violently as the guy's nosebleed ran.
He sat down on the floor to take in what he'd just encountered.
" Should I introduce him to everyone? " The guy with the brown hair questioned.
" You've always done this with everyone, so why not give it a shot? "
" Right... Ahem. Hello there, my name is Finral Roulacase. I'm known as the most handsome guy in the kingdom. "

He pointed to the pink haired woman.

" This right here is Vanessa Enoteca. She gets drunk frequently and gets a little too close for comfort, but she's a good person.
" This is Grey. No one knows much about them, they're just kind of... Around. They're helpful once in a while thought. They're a good person.
" And this chap right here is Gordon Agrippa. He might seem a little creepy, but he's just misunderstood. He's a good person.
" The short girl is Charmy Pappitson. All she does is eat, but she's our trademark. Her food is wonderful. She's a good person.
" Those two that ran outside I promise you are good people. The one with the flame magic is Magna Swing, and the other is Luck Voltia. They're both a handful, Luck loves to fight and Magna is a delinquent. "
" And this is our captain, the leader of the Black Bulls, Yami Sukehiro! He's a little rough on the edges, but... Yeah. "

" No ' He's a good person? '" Asta asked.

" Well... " Finral started until the guy called Magna came bursting through the wall with his ass on fire. " Somebody put it out!! Luck, you bastard!!! "
Finral wasn't lying when he said they were a handful.
" Hahahaha! Magna, you're an idiot! You have flame magic but you're the one who's on fire! " Luck said and smiled. " When you asked who ate your pudding, it was me! I lied. "
" What? Why?! "
" Because it looked so yummy! I would never do this just for you to fight me! "
Magna ran upstairs to shove himself in a sink and proceed to turn the faucet on cold.
Everyone below heard a loud shriek and didn't assume it was anything more than Magna regretting his life choices by sitting in the freezing cold stream of water.

' Wow... These people are crazy. Do I really look good hanging out with them? '

Yami chuckled while pulling the cigarette out of his mouth. " Have fun fitting in with these dumbasses, kid. Even if you're in my squad now, you should still take the exam. "
" ...Why? "
" I dunno, thought it might cause something in you to awaken. "
" Wha- I didn't even agree to join it... "
" What, are ya scared to or something, kid? You think I don't know the shit you've been through? The church you've lived at is horrible, and I'm sure you don't want to go back. "
" Well... I was running away. I didn't mean to get captured by you... " Asta said and looked at his feet. He hardly remembered last night until now and regretted mentioning it when he felt down.
Yami chuckled. " You make it sound like we kidnapped you. " Finral whispered under his breath, " Didn't you kind of do that though...? "
" That's why I brought you here, so you're not treated like hot garbage. Why would you want to run off somewhere when you didn't even know if you were gonna live or not? " He reasoned with him. There was a genuine hint in his voice that gave Asta hope.
" I... Sir, that was uhm... " He trailed off, "That was the point. I didn't want to live, " Asta mentioned as he looked to the side guiltily. Yami took another puff of his cigarette before he sighed.
" Well, it's good you're alright now. It's a miracle you survived that light guy's magic, but from someone like you who was pretty used to dodging attacks back at your village, I wouldn't expect any less. "
...
" You've got some muscles too, kid. It shows how hard you've worked. If you wanna get stronger, at least become a magic knight. "
Asta looked up at him bashfully and smiled. " I can try to, but how will I do that? " He questioned and stood up. Yami laughed at him. " Then you'll have to work twice as hard, if not more. "

' I am not looking forward to that. '

Finral cleared his throat.

" I think they shortened the wait of the scouting event by about 3 months this time. I don't know why. " Finral mentioned and kicked his foot against the ground. The harsh scuff of his shoes was enough to give Asta the nails+chalkboard feeling.
" That means you have less time to train. Where's your grimoire? "
" I don't have a grimoire, Finral sir. "
" You mean you're not fifteen yet? "
" No, I'm fifteen. I... Just wasn't lucky enough, I guess. "
" Wow, I've never heard of anyone who never got their grimoire. " He said and looked to his captain.
" Do you really think he should take the exam if he doesn't have magic nor a grimoire, Captain Yami? "

" Something tells me he'll get it soon. Why not? "

" Whatever you say, Captain... "