Chapter 18 {Phone Call #8}

Riley slowly began to shake her head as he leaned closer and she closed her eyes. His lips grazed hers and immediately a shock ran through her body that caused her eyes to shoot open. She carefully pushed him away, almost as if she was playing a tug of war inside her head. She shook her head as the tears built in her eyes and she gave him one remorseful look before whispering, "I'm sorry". She turned quickly and hurried down the stairs. She turned the corner and slammed her back against the wall but didn't bother worrying about the pain as the tears fell down her face. She scrambled through her pockets, looking for her cell phone and quickly hit re-dial.

"Hi." His voice was distraught and pained on the other line causing her to feel a knot in her stomach.

"I-I don't know what to do." She tried to stuff back her tears, hoping he wouldn't sense her sadness.

"About what?" He spoke softly.

"About you."

"Riley...there's something you should know..." He drifted off and the silence on both ends was deafening as she waited for him to speak. "I met someone...a girl...she's beautiful and frustrating and...incredible. Riley...you're..."

The heat rose in her throat as she tried desperately to hold back the tears begging to be released. She wrapped her spare arm around her stomach as if trying to hold herself together. "-just a voice on the other end of a telephone line." She finished his sentence bitterly while holding back tears.

"What? No, Riley...I-"

"-there's one more thing you suck at, Jonathan." She said harshly as the line fell silent. 

"Lying." Her voice was bitter and she quickly ended the call. Taking just a second to piece together every bit of heart that had been broken, she stood up straight and wiped away her tears. She stuffed her phone into her pocket and began walking back towards the stairs leading to the roof. She pushed through the door, causing the boy to face her with wide eyes. His phone was still perched in his right hand, but Riley took no notice of that fact. The only thing she saw was him; his lips, his eyes and every inch of him that could possibly take away all of her heartbreak, at least for a night.

"Riley?" He breathed out as she stepped towards him and placed both of her hands on the side of his face. Pulling his lips to hers, she kissed him fiercely. Responding quickly, he wrapped his arms around her waist and held her tightly against him as he ran his tongue along her lips. They pulled back for air and he tries desperately to catch his breath. He placed a hand on the side of her face as her hands dropped to his shoulders. "Riley...I need to tell you something."

She shook her head and opened her eyes to speak with disapproval. "No...I'm tired of talking." She pressed her lips against his once again and he moved forward, gently pushing her back against the large metal object behind them. She flipped them around so he was wedged between her and the metal before jumping up and wrapping her legs around his waist. They both slid down to the cement roof and continued kissing, forgetting the world and their problems. 

They knew their lives were screwed up and they knew, once this was all over, they would have to face their problems head on but in that one moment...all they needed was each other and all they had to do was just breathe.