Ch 15. - First Cookout

She stood in her den's yard. The late summer breeze felt refreshing, and clouded sky made the day feel soft. Mismatched tables, folding chairs, and a few benches littered the lawn. It usually provided more than enough seating for their small pack, but the added Redwoods would force younger members to stand or sit in the grass while eating.

Her pack members rushed about, putting last minute touches to a cook-out that they did not want to participate in.

Redwood was going to be arriving soon. Not the whole pack since that would overload all of the Mountain Peak resources and probably cause more harm than good the first couple of meetings. But, that knowledge didn't help Evelyn's agitation in any way.

Her dominance pushed out across the lawn as her magic pushed into the pack magic. It eased her to know that her pack would know that she was there. Evelyn didn't like that she had to soothe them from something like this though.

"Evelyn?" Liara called from the back door of the den that lead to the kitchen. "Can you help me bring out the rest of the sides?"

"Yeah, no prob," Evelyn called back, quickly making her way towards the door. Several pack members passed her with grateful brushes of their magic as her well of reassuring dominance moved with her. Evelyn was thankful that she could help her pack even a little through these trying times.

Liara was already holding a large bowl of chopped fruit when Evelyn made it into the kitchen. The beta looked at her worriedly before gesturing towards the bowls Evelyn was to grab, "Could you grab the dip and potato salad over there?"

Evelyn ran a hand through her hair and exhaled. It wouldn't do to agitate her pack more than they already were. She needed to calm down.

"Ya, I can no prob." Evelyn said, making her way to the counter. After she balanced the bowls in her hands, she turned to see Liara waiting for her. Both walked out of the kitchen together towards the food table, magic reaching out to each other in comfort.

They would do what they could to make good out of what was going to be a rough day.

"Do you think Don's gonna hog the potato salad this time?" Evelyn asked after a brief awkward silence. Liara snickered next to her as she set her bowl down at the end of the table. Evelyn followed suit.

"If he's anywhere near the front of the line, yeah." Liara fidgeted with the drink cooler.

"Should we set up sentries? Protect the precious potato salad?" Evelyn giggled. She straightened out the pile of napkins. Liara laughed.

Their merriment was cut short by the harsh press of Redwood pack magic against their own. Liara and Evelyn glanced at each other and breathed deep. It was show time, and they weren't ready for it at all.

Her pack pooled into the backyard as the Redwood got stronger. Many gathered around her and Liara, and the rest gathering around her father and Oscar. Toni saddled up next to Evelyn and touched her arm.

"Battle stations." Toni whispered. Evelyn's eyes flashed, and her dominance swelled to brush reassuringly against her pack. Battle stations indeed.

They entered the backyard - Redwood and judging her pack. Many glanced around curiously while others sneered at her pack. Evelyn remembered some of the girls from her time in high school. None of them were in good memories - the tensions between the packs ran deep within their history and the generations. What her father was doing, she didn't really like. She did not want their help - their pity. She snarled softly just thinking about it.

Her skin crawled at the thought of tolerating them and speaking with them. She wanted to snap at them and chase them off her pack's land. But, her father had already ordered everyone within their pack to treat the Redwoods with respect and dignity. They were going to help per her father's request - she wanted what she couldn't do.