Ch. 7 - Letters and Redwood

Evelyn walked out of her father's office after updating the residency log, almost running into Mrs. Clarke. She stepped back and apologized profusely while making sure that Mrs. Clarke was okay. She just waved Evelyn off.

"Don't worry about. I actually was looking for you." Mrs. Clarke brought an envelope with Evelyn's name on it forward. She knew that hand-writing. "This was slid underneath y – our door."

Evelyn took it from Mrs. Clarke, forcing a soft, grateful smile onto her face.

"Thanks." She paused as she turned over it over. "I'll be sure to let the Pack know that its your room now, not mine." Another smile graced her face as she looked back towards Mrs. Clarke. "I'm sorry about this."

"Oh - its no problem Evie! Really." Mrs. Clarke waived it off before turning to leave. She had seen the return address; she knew Evelyn would like to be alone.

Evelyn followed only to duck into the bathroom further down the hall. She was curious about what he had written. Is it an ardent apology or a fervent excuse? She hadn't spoken to him at all since she had ended it. Why contact her when she had been so adamant that she wanted nothing to do with him anymore?

It wasn't until she had locked the bathroom door and sat on the cover toilet that she let herself look at the name on the return address again.

Lucas Mroner

She breathed deeply as she clenched her teeth. The bastard. Why the fuck was he trying to contact her? After the first few days of silence after she had given him his stuff back, Evelyn had thought that she was in the clear. Her hopes to never see him or hear from him again had gained rapidly when after a week there was nothing. So, why now, three weeks later? What could he possibly say now?

She tore open the envelope and pulled out a three-page letter. The hand writing mocked her now. To be so repulsed by something she had once seen as a cute romantic gesture from his little notes gave her a feeling of irony. It was a weird feeling she still hadn't gotten used to.

She wondered when she would.

Evelyn read it slowly, almost wanting to never read it at all. But - she was curious as to how he would go about apologizing, if he did actually do so.

It took her longer than it ever should to read such a shitty letter. There were several points where she had to place it down and laugh bitterly at the utter lunacy of what she was reading. If he really thought this would get her to reconsider ending it with him then he was more delusional than she thought.

It was not lost on her that she now laughed at words that not three-months before would have made her smile at how sweet they were. Now, they tasted too sweet as she read them. She cringed at almost every word and wanted to tear something with her teeth at the suggestions of others.

"...I take sole responsibility for breaking your heart in the worst possible way, but its also my sole responsibility to fix it..."

What the fuck was he thinking?! Like bitch, its not his responsibility! It's hers. She didn't need him. Fuck him. Fuck off.

"...I hope that after crossing this dark chasm between us I will come home to a new Penelope who would recognize me in my disfigured disguise..."

She snapped her teeth and felt her wolf magic swell before she pulled it back rapidly to herself. A new Penelope? Did he honestly just equate himself to Odysseus?! He was no Odysseus, and she refused to be his mock Penelope.

Evelyn was laughing as she read his sign off,

"Affectionately yours, Lucas"

Obviously, that was a false claim. How could she be affectionately his when he had cheated on her for months. Evie snorted. The asshole hadn't even directly said that he was sorry or admitted to the wrongness of his actions.