Ch. 2 - Pack

"Evelyn, can you check the border? I will be here longer than I had anticipated." Her father said as soon as she answered his call. His voice as gruff as his salt and pepper beard.

Evelyn sat up in her bed and glanced at her alarm clock. 8:30 pm. It was a little late for him to still be there. What was taking him so long?

"I thought you were already on your way home?" She responded, rubbing her eyes. With a tired groan, she flopped back down on her bed. Evelyn heard her father's low growl on the other end, and she felt his wolf's slight pull on the pack's magic.

"I should have been." Evelyn could picture her father's eyes brighten green with wolf at his growl. "But, East Lake is being difficult."

Evelyn's heart lurched and her throat tightened at the mention of East Lake. Lucas... Her eyes watered viciously. She curled further into her comforter.

"What am I supposed to look for at the border?" She asked, hating that her voice wavered.

"I need you to check the scent border. I'll be here for a while tonight, so I won't be able to reinforce it for a few more days."

"What am I supposed to do if a section is weak? Text you?"

"Take a dirty shirt of mine and rub it on the weak sections. That should hold it over until I am able to actually strengthen it myself."

Evelyn worried at her lip as she watched the clock blink back at her. It was late and running the border would take her a long time. She wouldn't be back until around midnight.

She didn't really want to do it. Granted, she didn't really want to do anything. She hadn't for the past week. Her bed was too comfortable, and her life was too painful.

"Please, Evie..." her father's voice softened, "I know its been rough week, but its important that the border is strong for the safety of the pack." Evelyn scolded herself. Her dad wouldn't have asked if it wasn't important. And, she had been just laying around her room all week.

"Okay, I'll head out right away."

"Thank you." Her father sighed in relief.

"No problem." Evelyn groaned as she stretched. Her body felt heavy and hard to move.

"Try not to be seen by Redwood patrols. We can't have them suspecting anything bad about our current situation. We already have enough on our plate with the East Lake treaty ending early."

"Of course, I'll be careful." Evelyn murmured as she walked the hall to her father's room at the end.

"Good. I'll be home around the same time as you, if everything goes well."

"Okay."

"I love you dear."

"I love you too dad. Be safe and come home soon." Evelyn hung up as she stared at her father's dirty laundry hamper in his closet. Thank goodness it was the beginning of the laundry cycle. It wasn't even halfway full. She wouldn't have to worry about touching something gross like used underwear.

With a deep breath, Evelyn plunged her hand into the dirty laundry and started pulling out articles of clothing. Why did her father have so many office button-ups? They dominated her first handful. She didn't think he had that many. Where were his t-shirts or plaid button ups? Or at least something she wouldn't ruin with her teeth.

Finally.

After basically emptying the basket, she found a t-shirt. Hesitantly, she brought it up to sniff. Evelyn's face soured. Yeah, that would be strong enough to hold over the border. If it wasn't, then she didn't know how her father even created the scent border.