eighteen ~ promises

Dawn closed the door behind her and leaned against the wooden door. Slowly, she let herself fall to the ground, so that she could sit down on the floor. The coldness of the floor and door were soothing her body on fire.

Dawn closed her eyes, feeling completely exhausted. As her mum had mentioned Gemma and Anne would visit them, she didn't expect Harry to come too and crash a dinner. This wasn't the big issue though.  

Fact was, she wasn't prepared to meet him again. She knew how he was. She knew there'd be another encounter with him. But not that soon - let alone this bitchy.

Slowly tears started running all over her face. Dawn was used to that, used to cry herself into sleep, cry her heart out, cry alone. 

With all the years, sadness became a good friend of hers. She managed to live with the loss of her dad. To be honest, she had to live without her dad and without her mum, seeing how she was more desperated than Dawn herself was. The years had overused Dawn. She was a young girl, a young girl made of glass but with many bruises - which were unlikely healable. 

And nobody knew that. Nobody knew that it would take someone really, really special to change that. Someone special to fix her wounds from the past. One might think that Dawn did not search for the person who'd soothe her nerves and her pain, she did though. After moving to Brighton, she had two or three relationships. None of those were the 'right ones'. At first she thought they were loving her. But no, they just wanted her. For her looks, her eyes, her hair, her face, her style. 

They didn't want the vulnerable Dawn. They wanted the fierce Dawn they were used to see at school. At school, Dawn gained much popularity in such a short time. Not only because she was friends with Nina, but because of her personality. She was unusual for the popular teens at school, so she conquered the heart of many people. You could always trust her no matter what, she wouldn't spread your secret like all the other bitches would. And with Nina, she felt completely safe and often she was the only one who really understood her. The sister she never had. 

Dawn didn't know the whole school, but everyone knew her. That was strange to Dawn, but normal to other students. Rumours about her being pregnant, dating a new boy every week, her being on drugs and lots of other cruel rumours were floating. Some guys even called her 'prick-tease'. But they were totally wrong. Just because they couldn't have Dawn as they wanted to, do things with her as they wanted to, they made up stories about themselves and her hooking up. Only Nina knew and truly believed that she wasn't interested in any guy at school. 

This was the main cause why she broke up with the guys she dated before things really could get serious. She didn't need a man by her side, when she got her best friend. And she was ready to show that the whole world.

After her dad had died, she was desperated. If Nina didn't help her with that difficult time, the Dawn now wouldn't be the person she was now. 

Nina was funny. She always knew how to cheer Dawn up and when nobody liked Dawn at her new school, Nina offered her a hand and showed her around school. This was the first step into a deep friendship. Besides, with the hand Nina gave to Dawn, Dawn's school life changed. Nina, as the most popular girl at school, introduced Dawn to everyone and well, she lifted Dawn's reputation from 'New Stranger' to 'Nice Girl'.

"Are you alright?"

Dawn opened her eyes to face a beautiful shaped face. Anne. Slowly, Dawn shook her head sobbed louder. Anne placed herself on the cold floor and locked Dawn in her arms. Caressingly she stroked Dawn's hair.  

Again, Dawn couldn't help but remember the old times, when Anne was a second mother to her.

"No matter what happens between you and Harry, you're still my little Dawn. The Dawn I love and the Dawn I've always seen as my own daughter. You, Gemma and Harry, all three of you are like my own children. The same with your mother. I know she sees my children as her kids too. If something would happen to me, I'd want your mother to take care of you. Same with your mother again.", Anne whispered.