twenty one ~ old new home

"The hell with your mum, Dawn! She can't kidnap you! Isn't this illegal or something?", Nina scowled. 

Dawn sighed. "Illegal or something, that's good.", she muttered more to herself than to her best friend.

She was too tired to discuss on this matter. She had cried the whole evening whilst packing her stuff into boxes, she didn't want to move to Holmes Chapel. She just couldn't imagine living there, so far away from her best friend. But as it often happens in life, sometimes you can't change the flow of life.

"Won't you say anything? Dawn, don't you understand? Don't you hear me? You're moving to Holmes Chapel! Holmes Chapel, Dawn! H-O-L-M-E-S  C-H-A-P-E-L!", she pushed.

Dawn looked up at her and as soon as Nina met her gaze, she flinched. Dawn looked at her in this strange way she had never looked at her. For a split second, Nina felt like a target whose blood's draining by the predator. She froze.

"Shut the hell up, Nina! I know that. I fucking know that. Don't talk at me like I'm doing that on purpose. Do I look a bit like I want to leave, huh? And she's not kidnapping me, I'm moving along with her. She's my mother after all. Of course I'm going to follow her, stupid. I don't work. I have a bad graduation which could possibly not even pass as one. I'm screwed and I'm aware of that. No point in reminding me of that, okay?"

Nina swallowed. Dawn was right. If it had been her, she wouldn't have fought to stay here as well. In fact, she just would have been sad and crying about it, but she would have followed her parents too.   Her big eyes started tearing up.  "But.. What am I going to do without you? Whose pain in the backside will I be?" She chuckled into her tears.

Dawn sighed again and closed the distance between them. With a smile on her lips,  she hugged her best friend tightly as both started sobbing.

They knew that this would be their last cry together before their ways parted. Soon Dawn would be so far away and gone. Who knew when they'd see each other again? After weeks, months or years? None of them knew.

"Nina, listen.", Dawn started, firstly wiping Nina's tears away and then hers. "When I'm gone.. Find a girl or a boy supporting you better than I ever did. Find someone that won't judge you for being the person you are. Find someone that won't leave you behind. Find someone that will always be honest to you. Find someone.. Someone better than me in general. And please, please keep an eye on Ed. He's miserable at handling all this break up drama. Do me that favour, I'm not asking for anything else. Please." Dawn's voice was nothing more than a whisper now.

Nina hesitated for a moment, but then she nodded fiercely. "I give you my word. I will be on Ed's side no matter what - if that's the only favour I can do for you."

A smile lit up Dawn's gorgeous face. This was the Nina she knew, the Nina she trusted.  She wiped away her tears and walked over to her cupboard. She opened a drawer and picked up a red scarf. It always had been her favourite scarf. When she touched the scarf, her mood changed from sad to sadder, although her face was still lit up.

It was an expensive gift from her mother. Dawn lifted the scarf up to her nose and inhaled her own flowery scent.

"Nina, you could do me another favour."

Nina crooked her head and nodded. "Surely.", she said as if it was the most natural thing anyone could ask her.

"I want you to give this to Darren. I owe him this."

____________________________________________________________________

"Dawn, don't sulk. It really doesn't suit you."

Dawn didn't answer. She just looked at her phone and tried to seem preoccupied. If her mother wanted to turn her life into a living hell, Dawn would do her utmost to show her mother how wrong all of this was.