sixteen ~ liar

Dawn's POV

"Your pasta bake is as delicious as I remember, Kayla.", Gemma said.

I smiled at her lovely words and so did my mum. "Yeah, it tates really good.", Anne agreed.

"Thanks.", my mum said briefly.

There was a silence, but it didn't matter. As long as Harry didn't speak with anyone, as long as I hadn't had to hear his voice, everything was good.

Until I noticed.

Two pairs of green eyes, staring at me instantly.

I refused to look at him, but he didn't bother to notice that.

"So, what have you been up to the last days?", Harry asked all of a sudden.

Now they were talking about family stuff at our home. Great. I looked up to Anne and Gemma. And they looked at me. Wait, shouldn't they face Harry when he asked them a question?

My mother coughed. "Dawn.", she mumbled.

"What?", I asked, still not getting what was wanted from me.

"I asked you something.", Harry said, looking at me death seriously.

I lifted my head and met his eyes. "Maybe you should have be more precisely when you ask a question. Here are four persons sitting at the table. So it could be savvy, if you had asked your questions with naming the one you expect an answer from."

"Thanks for the lesson.", Harry smiled, but I could tell he was annoyed - because I was right. "And now my question please."

"Usual stuff. Nothing important.", I shrugged and continued eating. I mean, we both knew that it wasn't right. These two days were probably the worst of my life. Even worse than the time Harry had cut me off. But this wasn't the place to discuss that. Or did he want me to tell his mother and sister how I'd slapped him? And did he want to tell me how he had reacted?

"Really?", he raised his eyebrows. "The birds told me different things."

I dropped my fork and stopped chewing. Did he just call me a liar? Eyes turned to me. 

"Who are you to judge me? Who are you to call me a liar? Just because your the famous curly-haired guy from the TV, doesn't mean you have the right to speak with me like this.", I gritted my teeth. At first, this conversation seemed to be 1:0 for me - when I told him a lesson -, but now, he was the one leading this freaking game.

"I'm not judging you. And neither I'm saying you're a liar. I'm just informing you about what others think of you." I could hear the sarcasm in his deep, masculine voice.

"Harry, if it's about what I think it is, then please stop talking about it. We argued about that matter with Dawn. No need in bringing up these things again.", my mum stepped in.

Harry looked surprised and  he seemed devitalised. Like someone had blocked his argument, before even saying it.

"So, what do you think about your son-in-law, Kayla? I mean Ed and Dawn are very intimate, aren't they?  I saw in the newspaper a headline saying Dawn spent a night at his. Anyway, the press knows about them both, the critism is positive though.", he pointed at me with his fork, while speaking to my mum.

My jaw hit the floor - and oh, I wasn't the only person who was startled. Gemma, Anne and my mum were shocked as well.

Harry was infuriating me. And the way he did was so humiliating. 

"I reckon that's none of your business, Harry.", Anne told him off with a sharp tone.

"And I guess it is.", Harry snapped. "She's having a relationship with Ed and I want to know what's going on! Isn't that my right?"

"No!", Gemma and Anne responded in unison.

"To your information, there's nothing. We have a friendship and we're not in a relationship as you think. And my lovelife is no concern of anybody than me. To answer another question of yours, it isn't your right. Knowing the smallest thing about my life - that's not in your right. Not after the ass you have been to me.", I said.

"Wait, Dawn. What did he do to you?", Gemma cut in.

I looked at her and didn't answer. I wasn't like Harry. I wouldn't tell them what happened after the concert. It was something between him and me and I hadn't the urge to tell them the part with the slap, to be honest. 

But I had to admit, I still thought that it was just a fair act after he called me a bitch. 

"Dawn, let it be. It's not worth it.", my mum tried to calm me down.

"Here are some things that were understood wrong and I'll take my time to sort them out.", I spoke, directly staring at Harry.

Harry totally ignored my last sentence and kept being the annoying ass. "You and him are just friends, you said. But tell me, do friends sleep with each other? Like you bo-"

"FOR FUCK'S SAKE, YOU DIRTY SWINE!", I shouted at him and stood up. Then I turned to the others. "Nothing of this is true. Ed helped me, when I was in a critical state and bad things could have happened if he hadn't had helped me. Besides, if something between him and me happened, there's no one, no one who could tell me off for that! Maybe my mother but she knows the truth! You, Harry, do not! And then you act like you are my father, like you have to take care of me and deal with the situation. Where have you been for all those years? Where have you been when I texted you endless times? When I cried into my pillow, hoping that you'll show up someday? That you'll recognise me if our paths crossed someday? You have no clue what I went through. And to the part with sleeping and hooking up with someone, you are not an angel as well. Especially not in that kind of things. I don't think I have to mention the newspaper articles about YOU!"

I ran up the stairs, tears filling my eyes. 

How could he? How could he do that? He knew there was nothing between us. Or did he not? Did he really believe that Ed and me were going out? Or that we had a relationship? Disappointed how I was, I tried to figure out, what to do next.

I walked up and down my room. Suddenly an idea crossed my mind. I took my iPhone and searched for Ed's number in my contacts. If this worked, Harry would be dead in the water.

'Come on. Answer, Ed. Answer.', I thought to myself as the phone rang a few times. 

"Hello?"

I sighed in relief.

"Ed! It's you, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I am. But you.. Err, Dawn?"

"Dawn here, right. I have a problem."

"Anything I can help?", he asked without hesitating. 

"Well, actually yes."

"I'm all ears."

"Can you come over to my hood?"

"Dawn, there's something I need to tell you."

"What?"

"Go to your front door and you'll see."

"But I need you now, Ed. I seriously do. I am not the person to ask others for favours, but I need you being here so bad right now."

"Okay. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you, Ed. I owe you. Thank you. You're an amazing friend.", I whispered.

"My pleasure. Now go to your front door and do what I told you to."

"Okay. Thanks again. See you soon.", I wiped a few tears away and ran downstairs, straight to the front door.

Bursting with energy, I opened the door and for the 92470126489th time this day, my jaw landed on the ground.

"But.. I called you a minute.. ago.. and you.. London.."

"You forgot your coat at mine. I was standing in front of your house as you called me.", Ed smiled but then his smile faded. "Are these tears? Did you cry?"

I gave him a weak smile. "Come in.", I said and stepped aside. 

This coincidence was probably the best of my life.