Epilogue

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Crossing Paths

Epilogue

Six months later

“I hate you! I fucking hate you so much, Sedric!”

“Calm down, buttercup, take a deep breath,” Sedric mumbled, gritting his teeth when Jade flinched back from his touch when he tried to caress her cheek.

“Calm down?! Calm down?!” Jade cried out. “You try to calm down when you’re trying to push a baby the size a melon out of your vagina! This is all your damn fault.”

“Buttercup, it takes two to make a baby,” Sedric said cautiously.

“If your son didn’t have a head the size of a bowling ball it wouldn’t be this difficult to get him out!”

Jade bit her lip, tasting blood as another contraction ripped through her abdomen. “Another big push, Ms. Johnson. He’s almost here,” the midwife ushered. Jade would probably rip the woman’s head off if she wasn’t so busy trying to get her son out. The constant ‘Come on’s, ‘Take a deep breath’ and ‘push’ were starting to get on her nerves. They had it easy. All they had to do was watch her do all the hard work.

“I can clearly see the head now, Ms. Johnson. Another big push and he’s out,” the midwife told her when the contraction finally ended. Sweat trickled down Jade’s forehead as she tried to catch her breath. That was the billionth time now they told her she just had to push one more time. Lies!

“Come on, buttercup, you can do it,” Sedric reassured her. He’d been nothing but supportive the past 11 hours she’d been in labor, but in that moment all she could do was call him names for getting her pregnant. She was in too much pain to think rationally.

“I can’t,” she whispered brokenly, panting loudly. She was exhausted. After 11 hours of hell she wanted – no, needed – it to end.

“Yes, you can, buttercup. I’m so proud of you. You’re doing great.”

Before she was ready, the next contraction hit and Jade cried out loudly. She pushed with all the power she had left until whoop she felt the pressure in her lower body fade and the baby slid out. Seconds later, after Sedric cut the cord, loud whales echoed through the room. The midwife smiled as she rested the bloody baby on Jade’s chest. “Congratulations, mommy, you’ve given birth to a healthy son.”

Tears gathered in Jade’s eyes as she saw her baby boy for the first time. He was purple and stained with blood, yet he was the most beautiful and precious thing she’d ever seen. They took him away from her all too soon. “He’ll be right back,” one of the nurses assured her with a smile.

***

“He’s adorable,” Kate cooed, rocking baby Alexander back and forth.

“He looks just like Sed,” Jade remarked with a tired smile. Her body felt like a truck had hit it. It had been all worth it though. The moment she held her baby boy she forgot all about the endless pain.

“It’s time to go home, sis, Jade needs to rest,” Sedric commented, squeezing Jade’s hand. “Alexander is not going anywhere. You can cuddle him some more tomorrow.”

“You just want alone time with your little family,” Kate grinned as she handed Alexander back to his mommy.

“So sue me. Besides, Jade does need rest. She’s been through hell the past 12 hours. My buttercup deserves a break.”