Chapter 6: Stranded

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Crossing Paths

Chapter 6

Stranded

Sedric knew he made the right decision when Jade kept ignoring him for the rest of the night. The weather only got worse and three hours after their little fight, they got the final news that no airplane would be permitted to leave the island. They would be stuck in the middle of nowhere until Wednesday in the best case scenario, worst case they’d be stuck until Monday next week.

His parents had called every notable and powerful government official they knew, but in the end the situation stayed exactly the same. It was too dangerous to permit airplanes to fly. They had to wait until the danger of the hurricane had passed. It was impossible to cross the sea if the storm hadn’t abated.

“Shouldn’t you be spending time with your little girlfriend?” his mother taunted from behind him. He turned around to see her walking into the large kitchen of the mansion, her hair perfectly done as always. After the heated conversation ended with Jade, Sedric had decided to retreat for a little while and come to his senses. Most of the remaining guests were relaxing in the family room, game hall or spa. He decided to find some peace in a quiet place where no one would bother him, at least that had been the plan.

 “What’s up, mother?” he asked as he sat down on a barstool and poured himself a glass of Jack Daniels. Alison didn’t immediately answer, instead she sat down beside him. He offered her the bottle of liquor, but she shook her head ‘no’.  

“Why did you bring that girl to our family festivities, Sedric? Did I really push you that far in wanting to see you happy with a family? Did you truly want to break my motherly heart by having to watch you spend time with that floozy?” she questioned, sounding aggrieved.

“Mother, please!” he growled in frustration. “Jade is not a floozy. I understand your hatred, but she has done nothing wrong. We’ve gotten back together and I would appreciate it if you gave us your blessing,” Sedric told his mother strictly. It pained him to lie to the woman that gave birth to him, but it needed to be done. Otherwise he would never get her off of his back.

“I am your mother, Sedric. Don’t you think a mama can see when her baby is hurting? You do not look like a man in love, but a man who is struggling to keep himself from breaking down,” Alison replied, shaking her head in disappointment. “Jade once was a lovely girl, but I could never forgive her for making my baby boy unhappy. I could never forget how broken you looked when she left you behind.”

Sed shook his head in doubt, trying to find the right answers. He’d always been too ashamed to tell his mother the reason why Jade left in the first place, but he was damn close to telling her now. He hated the look of pure resentment in his mother’s eyes when she looked at Jade. Even after everything she put him through, Jade didn’t deserve that kind of treatment.

“I cheated on her, mother,” he stated coolly, as if it was the most normal thing in the world. He couldn’t look Alison in the eye, too embarrassed by his past mistakes. He always had been too damned proud to talk about his breakup with Jade, but his mother deserved to know the truth. He’d kept her in the dark way too long already.

“You did what?” Alison cried out, her eyes widening in pure horror. She stood up and paced through the room, her eyes locked on the wooden floor. “All this time I spent blaming the wrong person?” she questioned as she looked up, her eyes burning holes in his head.

“Why didn’t you tell me, son? Why did you wait six years before you found the courage to come clean? All this time I have been nothing but a pure bîtch to poor Jade and now you’re telling me she wasn’t the reason for your break up? You managed to fuck it up all on your own?” she screamed, anger radiating through the room. He had never heard his mother drop the ‘F’ bomb before, had never ever heard her so mad the windows could shatter any moment by the loudness of her voice.