Chapter 5: Resisting the Tension

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Crossing Paths

Chapter 5

Resisting the Tension

Her heart beat rapidly in her chest as they descended the stairs, the palms of her hands slightly sweaty. She felt like a timid mouse freed in a terrarium filled with hungry snakes. Brunch with the Miller family, such a joy. She could feel Alison’s grey eyes burning holes in her skin from miles away and silently cursed Sedric for not telling the woman the truth.

She hated the constant look of hatred as if she was a failure because she let Alison’s son down, while it had been Sedric all along who was the reason their relationship ended. It was clear as day that the woman still wasn’t convinced they had gotten back together. No matter how hard they tried to change her mind.

“Stay cool and keep on smiling. Mother can’t hurt you,” Sedric whispered in her ear, playfully licking her earlobe to put on a show for the watchful eyes that kept staring at them. He took her hand in his and squeezed reassuringly as they joined the group of people. Jade put on her best fake smile and even dared to look Alison in the eye, her bravado not faltering, much to her own surprise.

“You look absolutely gorgeous, Jade, those heels totally compliment your dress,” Kate smiled as she stepped closer and linked their arms like they had been best friends for years. Sedric smirked knowingly, but didn’t comment. She wanted to smack him on the chest, but restrained herself.

“Thank you,” she smiled shyly. She was about to return the compliment when Alison stepped closer and came to stand next to her daughter, shooting Jade a vile look. Jade did her best not to show any kind of reaction to the woman’s rudeness, but on the inside she was crumbling, deeply affected by her crudeness. Rage was coursing through her veins, her heartbeat rapid as she felt the sudden need to scream out in frustration.

“Dear, could you ask everyone to gather on the veranda? Brunch is about to be served,” she stated, successfully catching Kate’s attention and leading her away. Jade stayed behind on her own, only then realizing Sedric had disappeared into the crowd to mingle with friends and family. She cursed inaudibly and looked around to catch someone she recognized.

The room was filled with Miller family members, though she noticed there were a few unfamiliar faces as well. They were probably related to Emma - Lucas’s wife – Jade decided. She had only seen Emma during the wedding. The newlyweds were so absorbed with their love for each other, they often ditched the festivities.

“You look stunning, dear,” a man suddenly announced, coming to stand next to her and handing her a glass of champagne. She accepted the flute and gave him an onceover. He was a tall and handsome man, probably in his late twenties with the oddest color of green eyes she’d ever seen.

“And you are?” she questioned, the tone of her voice bittersweet in comparison with the smile that radiated across her features. The man had a knowing look in his eyes, which she absolutely despised. It was like he knew all her dark secrets and enjoyed taunting her.

“We have never been formally introduced. My name is David Thompson, I’m Sed’s best friend and coworker,” he smirked as he extended his hand. She internally cringed as she realized he was the guy who Sedric had been spotted with in the papers. The two of them were the famous bachelor duo that liked to spend their nights in the company of beautiful women.

“Jade Johnson,” she said as she shook his hand.

He nodded. “No introduction needed. I know all about you, Jade. Being friends with Sed gives me the benefit of knowing all his dirty secrets, including you. How does it feel to be used by the man you once loved?” he grinned, his eyes filled with mischief. She instantly disliked the man and adverted her eyes, looking through the room in the hope of making an escape. Fate decided to be cruel as she was trapped with nowhere to go.