Chapter 14: Keeping the Charade Alive

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Crossing Paths

Chapter 14

'Keeping the Charade Alive'

In a foul mood after leaving Jade’s apartment that morning, Sedric threw the file he was working on back on his desk and cursed loudly. He hadn’t missed the hurt in Jade’s eyes as she passed him to get away as fast as she could. Stephanie had clearly hit the nail on the head. Dammit. It wasn’t that Sedric didn’t want to make any promises to Jade. He just couldn’t. He still didn’t trust her, not after what she did.

He wanted her in his life, there was no denying that anymore. He just couldn’t seem to figure out how to do that without completely baring his soul and giving Jade the perfect opportunity to hurt him again. They both had trust issues. As long as neither of them gave in, there was no future for their relationship.

“Sir, your sister is waiting out the front asking to see you,” Shirley, his secretary, spoke through the intercom. Sedric groaned loudly. Bubbly Kate was the last person he wanted to see today. He couldn’t handle listening to her chatter. His headache would only worsen if he had to listen to his sister all afternoon.

“Send her to my office,” Sedric said anyway, knowing he couldn’t deny his sister’s request. She would just burst into his office without permission. No one refused his sister anything.

A solid minute later, his door flew open and Kate sauntered inside. No knock or apology for interrupting him, that wasn’t Kate’s style. “Hello brother!” she smiled, her eyes shining with excitement as she sat down on top of his desk and closed his laptop. Sedric cursed and glared at her. She really had no manners. “It’s so good to see you!”

“I’d say the same, but we both know that would be a lie, baby girl,” Sedric grunted, leaning his head against the back of his chair.

“You know you love me, big brother, don’t try to deny it. You just love my unexpected visits,” Kate grinned. Yeah, right. Only Kate would believe that.

“What are you doing here?” Sedric asked, not beating around the bush. He wasn’t in the mood to chat. He’d already wasted enough time brooding the past weeks. Work had piled up so high, he couldn’t see past the huge tower anymore. It frustrated him to no end.

“You’re in such a great mood,” Kate remarked sarcastically, rolling her eyes. “What’s wrong? Didn’t get your sexual fulfillment this morning?”

“Of course that’s what’s wrong, I’m still a shallow sixteen years old that thinks with my dick only,” Sedric retorted, scoffing.

Kate snorted and shook her head. “Damn, you really are in a bad mood,” she stated.

“Did you see the pile of work you just pushed aside to sit on my desk? Who knows, maybe that’s the reason I’m stressed out,” Sedric said, feigning ignorance.

“Is the firm having a hard time?” Kate asked worriedly, suddenly turning serious, her eyes filled with concern.

Sedric shook his head. “No, we’re doing great. After the storm work just piled up and I’ve been trying to get back on track ever since. It just doesn’t seem to end,” he explained, running his fingers through his dark locks.

“You work too hard. Hire someone that can take some of your workload. It’ll make things a lot easier on you,” Kate proposed, resting her hand on top of Sedric’s and squeezing reassuringly.

“You know I’m a perfectionist, Kate. I could never let someone else do my job. I’d constantly supervise them, which would only give me even more work. It’s bad enough that I had to hire a secretary,” Sedric protested. He hated not being able to do everything himself. He didn’t trust easily. If someone screwed up, he would have to take the blame as the owner of the firm. That’s exactly the reason why Sedric tried to keep the business small. Unfortunately, his partner, David, didn’t agree. David would love to see the firm grow larger.