Chapter 20: Secret Uncovered

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Crossing Paths

Chapter 20

'Secret Uncovered'

Jade cast another look at the floor-to-ceiling mirror in her bedroom and was surprised to see her reflection. She hadn't developed a baby bump yet, but it was clear the pregnancy hormones were already at work. Her eyes were shining with happiness and pride, her cheeks were slightly rosy and a smile constantly crept across her features. She truly glowed. Resting her hand on her flat stomach, Jade imagined a tiny little creature with Sedric's piercing charcoal eyes, his full lips and her little nose, a combination of the both of them. She'd...

A knock on the door startled her, bringing her back from dreamland. Lately, all she could think of was the baby growing inside her womb. Shaking her head, Jade's eyes locked on her watch and she frowned when she realized it was still far too early for Sedric to arrive from work. Glancing one last time in the mirror, she turned around and headed to the hallway where her visitor impatiently knocked for a second time in less than a minute. Whoever decided to pay her a visit was not willing to waste much time.

Pulling the front door open, she had to hold back an annoyed groan when she noticed Sedric's best friend David standing in the door opening, an annoyed expression across his face. The man infuriated Jade and she honestly couldn't say she'd ever be happy to see him. It might not be a good way to start a relationship, already hating your boyfriend's best friend, but Jade had reason not to like David. He'd embarrassed her more than once and seemed to be dead set on breaking Sedric and her up. She truly didn't understand what she'd ever done wrong to make that man hate her so much.

"What do you want?" she huffed, skipping the pleasantries. It wasn't like the man was there to apologize for his less than kind behavior. He'd have stopped by when Sedric was home if that was the case. No, David wanted another shot at offending her without Sedric there to stop him. Just what she needed today...not! Couldn't a girl ever get a break?

"You're always so happy to see me, Jade," David smirked arrogantly, leaning forward and putting a foot between the gape to make sure she couldn't slam the door closed in his face. Smart man.

"I wonder why that is?" Sarcasm was dripping from her words as she faked a smile in David's direction. Stress wasn't good for the baby, she reminded herself. She'd have to keep her temper in check for her child's sake, no matter how badly she wanted to strangle David.

"I don't like women that are out to deceive my friends," David snorted, a dangerous look crossing his eyes. A shiver ran down Jade's spine. David could be seriously scary when he was angry. "If I knew for sure your intentions were honest, I'd welcome you with open arms, but we both know that's not the case. You, Jade, want to kill the last piece of Sedric's soul and I'm here to prevent it. He might be a royal pain in my ass, but Sedric deserves better than a woman who wants to bring him down."

Jade rolled her eyes and shook her head in disbelief. Really? That man still believed she was out to hurt Sed? How did he figure that? She honestly didn't understand. "Look, Mr. Know-it-all, I love Sed and am willing to forgive him for cheating on me when we were still practically kids. That's a whole lot of love. Not any woman would forgive something like that, in fact, most wouldn't. I don't understand why you'd think I'd want to hurt the man I love." His accusations were mindboggling.

"Isn't it obvious?" David said, eyes filled with fury. Jade would've taken a step back if she hadn't been sure David would keep his hands to himself. The man might be a lot of things, but she didn't think he'd ever hurt a woman. Otherwise Sedric would never be friends with him. "You almost ruined his life when you decided to take revenge. I can't process how a woman, that says she really loves him, would do that."