Chapter 9: Reality Check

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Cruel Fate

Chapter 9

'Reality Check'

After another quick glance at the clock and heaving a soft sigh, Amelia packed the last items in her suitcase, all the while trying to ignore the huge elephant in the room. Tension coated the air, so thick it made a shiver run down her spine. It was Wednesday morning, time to leave and go back home. Last night, Benjamin and she came extremely close to crossing that invisible line between them. If Benjamin hadn’t decided to go to the gym at one in the freaking morning, they probably would’ve ended up in bed together – naked. She’d been fast asleep when he finally came back and she woke up to an empty bed. The only indication that he’d slept beside her, were the wrinkled sheets on his side of the bed. 

No matter how hard Amelia tried to fight the attraction between them, it was clear if they spent any more time together they’d stop thinking rationally and just jump each other’s bones. She wanted Benjamin badly and he seemed to want her just as much. She had no idea what he found so attractive about her, but the heated looks he sent her way didn’t lie. He wanted her in his bed, completely bare and wriggling underneath him. She could read it in his eyes. It was the exact same look he’d given her all those years ago in that club, only then she didn’t realize what it meant until much, much later. What a naïve girl she had been.

“Are we going straight back to work when we land in Chicago?” Amelia asked, not able to stand the silence a second longer. She’d just gotten out of the shower when Benjamin finally appeared in their room that morning with a cup of coffee in his hand. He then informed her they’d be flying back home that morning since their business in New York was done. That’s all he said before he disappeared again. She had no idea what he expected of her. Should she go straight to work and finish her day like any other? They were supposed to land just after two in the afternoon. Usually, she worked until six.

“You can take the rest of the day off, pick your son up from school and spend some time with him. I’m sure you missed him these past days.” That was awfully thoughtful and generous of him. Amelia couldn’t say she was expecting it.

“Are you sure?” She wouldn’t say ‘no’ to an offer like that, but she still felt uncomfortable. It was clear Mr. Hardman didn’t often show any kind of compassion. The reason why he was giving her the day off probably had more to do with the fact that they needed some time away from each other than anything else. If he’d been George, she would’ve thanked him and not feel the slightest bit of guilt, but he wasn’t and they both knew it. Benjamin was the exact opposite of her former boss.

Instead of verbally replying, Benjamin gave her a firm nod and picked up his taupe suitcase after zipping it closed. “Should I carry yours?” he asked, apparently raised a gentleman – another surprise.

“No, that’s okay,” Amelia mumbled, but before she had time to take a hold of the handgrip, Benjamin had lifted her suitcase in the air. Apparently his question was rhetorical, because he obviously didn’t care about her answer. Typical Benjamin behavior.

Rolling her eyes at his complete ignorance, she slung her leather handbag over her shoulder and followed Benjamin to the reception desk where they would check out. The man had actually called the manager of the hotel that first night like he threatened to do and had gotten them a 50 percent discount. Benjamin wasn’t very happy about it and told Amelia it was the last time he was staying at that hotel. She didn’t get it. She’d be exhilarated if she got a huge discount like that. According to Benjamin, they either had to get the entire trip for free or a second room should’ve been made available for them after that first night. Benjamin Hardman was not an easy man to please, that’s for sure.