Chapter 4: Palpable Tension

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Cruel Fate

Chapter 4

'Palpable Tension'

Heaving a deep sigh, Ben closed the file he was working on and stared mindlessly out of the floor-to-ceiling window of his office at the dark grey clouds looming over the city. Raindrops hit the glass, slowly rolling down the surface and disappearing down the outside of the building. It was a somber day and it didn’t look like it’d get better any time soon.

Ben’s eyelids felt heavy and the pressure on his skull caused by a severe headache didn’t improve his bad mood. He hadn’t slept a wink last night. Imagines of a brunette in a pair of tight sweatpants, hair wild and a pair of glasses on top of her cute little nose haunted him. He couldn’t seem to get the picture out of his head. Every time he closed his eyes she appeared out of nowhere and took over his mind.

Ben didn’t like it – no, he positively even hated it. Gone was his control. The woman was turning him into a mindless fool.

Growing annoyed with himself, Ben pushed his chair back, stood up and forcefully knocked on Amelia’s door before bursting into the room. “I need the ‘Harris’ file on my desk now,” he ordered, his tone stern and not leaving any room to argue.

Amelia seemed startled for a moment. Eyes wide, she looked up at him and frowned. The smile he was used to seeing her wear turned into a scowl. “I’m still working on that file, sir. You’ll have to wait ten more minutes,” she protested. Ben swore he saw red when she refused his demand.

“Now, Ms. Parker,” he repeated before closing the door and walking back to his desk. He heard the distant sound of cursing as he sat down and waited for Amelia to bring the file he needed. Ben didn’t feel one ounce of remorse for ordering her around. She was his assistant. It was her job to follow his commands.

“I still need to check the spelling and grammar of the marketing campaign before you can send the draft of the ad to our client,” Amelia informed him as she walked into his office and put the file down in front of him. “The mission statement also needs a revision, but I still need to talk to you about it.”

“You can go now,” Ben mumbled, his eyes scanning through the file.

Amelia sighed in annoyance and shook her head. “You didn’t even acknowledge you heard what I said.” When Ben still didn’t say anything, the woman let out a frustrated cry, turned around and headed to the door.

“One second,” Ben called out. He swore she rolled her eyes before she turned to face him.

“Yes?” Amelia asked impatiently, her eyes a blaze of fury. Anger was a surprisingly good look on her, Ben noted. It was strangely enjoyable to know he was the cause of her storming avocado orbs.

“I’d like a Starbucks espresso and Club Sandwich from the sandwich bar across the street.”

Amelia’s scowl turned into a deadly glare. “Excuse me?” Furious eyes met his cold ones. “I’m your assistant, not your slave.”

“It’s a simple request, Ms. Parker, one you should have no trouble managing.” Ben didn’t think it was possible that Amelia could turn any redder, but she did. His pants tightened painfully when she leant over his desk and pointed a finger at his face.

“Getting you lunch is not in my job description,” Amelia pointed out, her voice deadly calm. Ben retained a smile, trying to keep his eyes focused on her face instead of the glimpse of flesh she was showing by bending forward. The red satin of her bra was peeking out from under her blouse, the confirmation that his prediction was right. She wore sexy lingerie underneath her classy skirts and turtlenecks. Damn.