Chapter 21: Next Level

Copyright 2015 © Rosesareforever

Cruel Fate

Chapter 21

Next Level

The pale light of dawn streamed through the thin ecru curtains of the bedroom when Ben blinked his eyes open in the morning, his body warm from the heat radiating through the room and his muscles strained from lying in an uncomfortable position for most of the night. Landon was still plastered to his chest, his little hand fisted in Ben's shirt as if afraid that he would disappear if he let go. To his left side, Amelia was curled against him, her leg thrown over his, one of her arms wrapped around both Landon and him.

Ben took a moment to take it all in, a content smile across his face. A year ago, who would've thought this would be how he'd wake up? The answer was simple. No one. Certainly not him. It was crazy how much someone's life could change in such a short time. There he laid, a man head over heels in love with a woman he met years ago and their son. Sometimes Ben wondered if it was all just a dream. It just seemed too good to be real.

Taking a quick look at the clock on the bedside table, Ben realized the alarm was about to go off, his eyes widening when he read the numbers. No wonder he woke up. He was usually up and ready to go by the time his alarm went off. His body refused to let him sleep any longer.

Turning his head, he looked down at Amelia and softly ran a finger across her pink cheek. She looked so peaceful when she was asleep. It actually pained him to wake her up, but he knew she'd skin him alive if he turned off the alarm and let her sleep in while he got Landon ready and brought him to school. He knew better than to always try to get his way. He'd quickly learned that Amelia wouldn't just bend to his every demand like he was used to and he loved her more for it. Not many people had the guts to deny him anything.

Stretching his neck, Ben placed a sweet kiss against Amelia's temple and softly called her name. She stirred almost immediately. His chest felt heavy when she finally opened her avocado orbs and looked up at him with sleepy eyes, her brows drawn together. What a sight to wake up to. He could totally get used to this. "Good morning, sunshine."

Looking cute as ever, Amelia's lips curled into a sweet smile. "Hi," she mumbled, still a little groggy and pressed an openmouthed kiss against his shoulder. Ben felt his cock stir in his boxer briefs. Damn. It might not be a bright idea to share a bed with both Amelia and their son. It was bound to lead to an uncomfortable situation.

Trying to advert his mind from going down a dangerous path, Ben ignored his raging hormones and instead focused on the little boy still asleep across his chest. "It's five to seven," Ben stated, "We need to get him ready for school."

Checking the time, Amelia nodded and shot upright. "I'll drop him off. You need to get to work as soon as possible. You have a meeting with Mr. Sanders at eight thirty and still need to look over the mock-up our designers sent you and make sure it's up to standard."

Ben shot her an amused look. "You know, it has its perks to wake up next to your assistant. My own walking, talking agenda."

"Don't tease me," Amelia replied, playfully pushing him as she rolled out of bed and put on her slippers. "You wake Landon and get him into the bathroom. I'll start a fresh pot of coffee and cook breakfast."

"Ma'am, yes, ma'am," Ben saluted, grinning from ear to ear when Amelia shot him another annoyed look. The woman still hadn't learned that it only managed to entertain him further when she pretended to get mad. How sweet life could be.

Hands on her hips, Amelia proclaimed, "At work you call the shots, at home that's my privilege."

Ben raised an eyebrow, laughter bubbling in his chest. "Sweetheart, where did you get the idea that I'm ever in charge where you're concerned? I might direct hundreds of employees, but if there's one exception, it's you. I call you by your first name like you ordered me to. I ask for stuff instead of demanding it. And, I always take your opinion into consideration."